What's new
What's new

Heavy 10 rescued from the melt shop furnace

Rockdriller

Plastic
I just inherited/ saved what I think is a mid 50s South Bend heavy 10 that was left in a container abandoned on my property. The things in actually very good condition but has been in this container for 4 years with a leaky roof. No direct water just a moist environment. The ways and all other Machine surfaces that were exposed have some oxidation. I think I can clean this up as there's no deep pitting. The oil cups were all full or showed recent lubrication. This thing runs like a top and is silent. Somebody destroyed the ID tags and serial number Etc. I'm sure it belong to the government at some point as it shows very little wear. Seems to have very tight tolerances and the only problem I can tell so far is the screw feed and engagement needs some work. I'm tickled to have it and will get it back into Top Notch order. Here's a pic as I received It. It looks worse than it is from what I can tell. Three jaw and four jaw Chuck's and quite a few accessories. Runs on 110.

Attachments

• 20221020_120611_HDR.jpg
    20221020_120611_HDR.jpg
    923.8 KB · Views: 116
Those quick changes were offered in the 1930's up to maybe sometime in the 40's, so it's not a 1950's.
That box has the same ratios as the double tumbler that has positions A thru E on the left, but some say that it is more rugged.

You may want to pull the spindle & check the wicks . You can buy a new wick set & complete tear down & assembly book on Amazon or fleabay
animal

The single tumbler gearbox was available on the 10L until 1952 or 53. There are version numbers on various parts that can be used to roughly identify the age.

The serial number isn't on any of the tags, but is stamped on the right-front top of the bed between the flat and prismatic parts of the ways. Having the serial number will help date your lathe.

Does the drum switch mounted to the ways narrow down the age? Our 44' model Heavy 10 has the drum switch above the tail bearing of the head-stock.

Quote "Somebody destroyed the ID tags and serial number Etc."
Do you think it was stolen and someone destroyed the South Bend ID tags thinking it would help.???

Most of the lathes I've seen with missing tags, it was my assumption that someone just thought they looked cool and swiped them, or thought the brass was valuable scrap. I've also heard a couple instances where someone took the plates off the machine for painting and never remounted them, Or they were concerned that they couldn't be replaced so they kept them in a tool box instead of on the machine (effectively loosing them for the future owners).

That was my first impression. Looks like somebody took a chisel or a drift pin and obliterate the tag on the side of the way near the Tail stock end and the one up under the gearbox. It's quite old and wouldn't surprise me if it was mid War era. Should still be able to ID it with some effort. The paint that's on it appears to be a Navy Gray.
Thx fer the tip SLK. I'll be checking that out.

Back