What's new
What's new

Heavy 10 steady rest

VTX-

Plastic
I have a well tooled South Bend heavy 10, Been looking for a reasonably priced steady rest for some time now. When I got this lathe about 15 years ago "Tools for Cheap" had a reproduction he was importing that seemed reasonable. I am not opposed to making one from scratch, but I am looking for some ideas, maybe one that can be adapted to my bed from another machine, or a similar version of the old Tools for cheep that can be adapted. Any suggestions? Or should I just spend the $4-500 on ebay, funny thing is they where only $250 on ebay when I got the lathe

SLK001

Stainless
I'd be inclined to make one from scratch. The factory steady for the 10L only has a 2.5" capacity (I found this out when I needed to support a 3.25" bar of cast iron in the lathe). It's a real bummer when you need to support something 4 or 5" (or more) in diameter. Making a steady with a 6+" capacity is on my to-do list.

jim rozen

Diamond
Other option: try to locate some other brand of steady (larger than the stock SB one for a 10L) and machine the base (or fab a riser...) to fit it to your machine. As long as the base is suitable to machining to the flat and V way distance on the lathe, it will work fine. There's a small but steady stream of "what the heck is this steady rest for" posts on this forum. Possible fodder for the cannon....

M.B. Naegle

Titanium
Keep an eye out of Logan 10" steadies too. The only difference is that the flat and V ways are on opposite sides as South Bend (just flip it around), but otherwise they bolt right on with zero modification.

Larry S

Aluminum
Heavy 10 Steady Rest from MLA

Theres always one of these
Steady Rest (MLA-9)
animal

I made one of these for my 60's model heavy 10 on a Cabinet Base.
It works well.
It's designed for a 9" lathe so I had to cut some of the base off and add a wider
piece of bar stock,1/2" th. x 1 1/2" wide, and milled the 90 deg. V-Groove to fit
the bed.
The only draw back is that the Rest doesn't have a hinged opening.

Larry S

VTX-

Plastic
If I could find a decent priced steady from another machine, I would adapt the base for my 10L bed, trouble is finding one the rite price. I sketched one up last night, Have access to piece of 6"OD 1" wall pipe, was aiming for a 4" capacity, this will probably be the best bet

MilGunsmith

Stainless
Digging thru my stuff, I think I may have an extra Heavy 10 steady rest. In comparing it to my 9A steady rest, it has a higher center and the way grooves are wider apart. It is definitely for a 10" lathe. I will try to post a picture.