What's new
What's new

Heavy 10l lever question

LeeMahors

Plastic
Thanks for having me on this site. Lots of invaluable information.
While in not new to lathes, it has been 20 years since I've owned one. It was Alot newer that the 10l I just bought. I bought it from, what he said, the original owner, he said he had it freshened up about 10 years ago and did still use it on occasion. Walked in his shop amd it was covered with a custom made canvas cover, so very well taken care of.

I have a question about the 3 levers on the headstock and gearbox.
In the picture I need to know what
I think I know or don't know.
#1 I have no clue
#2 feed reverse lever
#3 back gear, but which way is which
Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

It was powered and running when I bought it and the previous owner showed me the operation but that's been a bit. 20221023_085953.jpg

jim rozen

Diamond
1) top gearbox lever. The threading plate on the front of the gearbox will call out "right, center, left' for various threading pitch settings.
2) tumbler reverse lever as you mention.
3) back gears are enabled by a) pulling out the bull pin at under the front cover near the spindle, and the pulling (3) forworward.

Never operate any of the controls while the lathe is running!

LeeMahors

Plastic
That's simple enough. What is gearbox engagement process. I really don't want to break something.

LeeMahors

Plastic
Alright got that figured out.

Is it a common problem for the pin to stick that disengages the gear from the spindle?

Last edited:

kitno455

Titanium
Alright got that figured out.

Is it a common problem for the pin to stick that disengages the gear from the spindle?
Yes, and people pry on it with a screwdriver, and break the head off the pin. It is very hard, and hence brittle. I ended up having to weld a new head on the bullgear pin in my lathe.

LeeMahors

Plastic
I finally got it. Mine was already broken off. But it was threaded internal. Seemed odd. I finally figured out what thread and found a screw to fit. Soaked in kroil for 3 days every time I walked by. Grabbed the screw with pliers and gently tapped with a small hammer, it popped free.

Sargunes1903

Plastic
I also have the same problem. I will solve it somehow. Or I'll throw it away. I'll buy a nice machine.:) :) :)

Last edited:

rdenney

Plastic
On that vintage, the bull gear pin pushes towards the center of the spindle. Newer versions had a pin that pulled out. (Or maybe it’s not a vintage issue—but my 14-1/2 pushes down toward the spindle center, and it’s also old enough to have the single-tumbler gearbox like yours). Look at the bill gear inboard of the pin—if there USA slot the pin slides rather than pulls.

Rick “never use a pry bar in any lathe control” Denney