What's new
What's new

Heidenhain Positip 850 Help Required

Flyinfinn

Plastic
I don't have a scope or know anyone who does. Can anything more be done with a multimeter or uf meter?

ballen

Titanium
I don't know how to go farther without a scope.

I just had a quick look on Colorado Craigslist and there are lots of classy old analog scopes for sale at prices below $100. I suggest you buy a cheap one, and learn to use it.

Flyinfinn

Plastic
I only find one and it's missing the crt. We couldn't skip the coil and see if the next part or two that I can check with my meter is working?

ballen

Titanium
Any scope meant for electronics will do. Don’t get one meant to service cars. Since you need signal inputs up to 400v, it would be good if it has x10 probes (meaning you only need a max 40V input on the scope).

If you want to spend hundreds you can get a modern digital storage scope, Siglent, Rigol, etc. If you want to spend under $50 then get a used Tektronix or Philips or whatever from the 1980s or 90s. Something like this:
Tektronix 465 Oscilloscope, gebraucht mit Messtastern - Reservescheibe Dual | eBay

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Flyinfinn

Plastic
I took a closer look at the other board on the right and noticed a component (that looks like a capasitor) that has its bottom blown out. I'd like to send you a picture of it and where it came from but I don't know how to attach the picture here. It's a light copper color and it was in the middle of the board next to a coil. I can't read the printing on it.

ballen

Titanium
I took a closer look at the other board on the right and noticed a component (that looks like a capasitor) that has its bottom blown out. I'd like to send you a picture of it and where it came from but I don't know how to attach the picture here. It's a light copper color and it was in the middle of the board next to a coil. I can't read the printing on it.

There are instructions for posting pictures. Use the "search" feature to find them.

Flyinfinn

Plastic
Here's the component, it was located in the middle of the board near the coil.

Attachments

• 20220506_151121.jpg
    20220506_151121.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 15
  • 20220506_151138.jpg
    20220506_151138.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 11
  • 20220506_151327.jpg
    20220506_151327.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 12

Flyinfinn

Plastic
Ballen, did you see the pics I posted about a apparently blown component. Do you have any way of knowing what it is and the value of that?

ballen

Titanium
I think it's an electrolytic capacitor but can't tell the voltage/capacitance values. If you measure the voltage where it attaches, just pick a capacitor rated for a somewhat higher voltage. The value is probably not critical, so if you pick one with the same voltage rating and physical size, it will probably be close enough. Or look around the circuit board for an identical capacitor that is not damaged and get the values from that one. Usually manufacturers try to take parts from a bin of identical ones!