What's new
What's new

Help getting South Bend Gear

kim78

Plastic
Can anyone help me get the gear that is attached to the shifting lever inside the gear box.
It for a 16" lathe. Its seems to be missing, so I don't really even know what it looks like.
I'm trying to help a local college locate the needed parts.
I have the serial card for the machine if that helps.

Thanks,

Kim

Can anyone help me get the gear that is attached to the shifting lever inside the gear box.
It for a 16" lathe. Its seems to be missing, so I don't really even know what it looks like.
I'm trying to help a local college locate the needed parts.
I have the serial card for the machine if that helps.

Thanks,

Kim
I'll guess you refer to PINION here on page 8 in right hand column under gear box clutch with part number 426 for 16"

Thank you so much for the parts book you provided, I think that helps me get a little closer.
I have attached something I found that seems to show the parts missing (I have circled them) using the names in my PDF and looking in your South Bend PDF I think I need some parts on page 9, (maybe 384, 253X12 and 605)

any thoughts?

Kim

Attachments

• SC458_1761422120518060.pdf
    273.6 KB · Views: 19
If it helps (and it probably doesn't), the assembly AS605FH2 is shared with the 14-1/2" lathe, in case you find someone parting out that size. But those were much less common so it's a long shot. It's good to be able to interpret those parts lists, though. "FH" means "for both 14-1/2 and 16 lathes". F was the code for 14-1/2, and H the code for 16. "AS" means "assembly", and that includes the needle bearing (PT384FH) and the gear, per the parts coding.

More potentially useful: The same idler gear and bearing (AS605FHn, where n is the version number) is used in the double-tumbler gearbox, for both tumblers. I have not found that changes in the version number prevented me from installing a part, but I'm sure that's not a universal truth.

The 153x12 (your "253" is a typo) is listed under South Bend Form 1178 "Commercially Available Hardware" as a 1/2 x 2-1/2" steel dowel pin. Those are available from McMaster, among others. In the double tumbler gearbox, the dowel is only slightly different--it's designated 160x254, but that is a "steel pin" that is 1/2 x 2-1/4", which is the same as used in the single tumbler but a quarter inch short.

Rick "who has been searching for 14-1/2 parts a lot lately, and has sort-of figured out the parts coding" Denney

If it helps (and it probably doesn't), the assembly AS605FH2 is shared with the 14-1/2" lathe, in case you find someone parting out that size. But those were much less common so it's a long shot. It's good to be able to interpret those parts lists, though. "FH" means "for both 14-1/2 and 16 lathes". F was the code for 14-1/2, and H the code for 16. "AS" means "assembly", and that includes the needle bearing (PT384FH) and the gear, per the parts coding.

More potentially useful: The same idler gear and bearing (AS605FHn, where n is the version number) is used in the double-tumbler gearbox, for both tumblers. I have not found that changes in the version number prevented me from installing a part, but I'm sure that's not a universal truth.

The 153x12 (your "253" is a typo) is listed under South Bend Form 1178 "Commercially Available Hardware" as a 1/2 x 2-1/2" steel dowel pin. Those are available from McMaster, among others. In the double tumbler gearbox, the dowel is only slightly different--it's designated 160x254, but that is a "steel pin" that is 1/2 x 2-1/4", which is the same as used in the single tumbler but a quarter inch short.

Rick "who has been searching for 14-1/2 parts a lot lately, and has sort-of figured out the parts coding" Denney

Thanks Rick for all the info.

Do you happen to know how many teeth are on that gear? I have seen idler gears for sale on ebay but I'm not sure enough if that is the correct size.

Kim

Thanks Rick for all the info.

Do you happen to know how many teeth are on that gear? I have seen idler gears for sale on ebay but I'm not sure enough if that is the correct size.

Kim

I haven’t had my gearbox apart (yet), so never photographed the part. If I can see it from underneath, I’ll try to count it.

Rick “give me a bit” Denney

Back