What's new
What's new

Help ID this Brown & Sharpe horizontal

JW Machine

Aluminum
I have been casually looking for a horizontal mill, and came across this one today. It was used regularly until a few months ago when the x axis nut stripped so the power feed doesn't work. I could get the mill for scrap price.

So, what model is this machine, and approximately how old is it? Is this a solid enough unit to be worth repairing, or would it be best to save myself the trouble?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 245
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 223
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 210
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 202
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 194
1943 - I suppose. Last 3A in 1942 was 2467. No more made after '47. 45 years ago at Hardiman Machine in Warehouse Point CT we had one that I turned into a grinding machine with a 54" face plate

I would get that sucker in a heartbeat.

But that's just me, Wait for someone who knows what they are talking about to advise you.

Thanks to all who have replied. I've noticed that no one has yet suggested I go take a cold shower and let this one go. . . .

Since I'm in no rush, might it be a better idea to wait for a horizontal in running condition, or is this fundamentally such a good machine that it would be worth the hassle? Aside from the repairs, I'm well aware that the cost of getting this thing back to my shop exceeds its value and I really don't need an expensive hobby, needlessly restoring a lost cause. I'm not leery of the work, just throwing good money after bad.

From the 1940 catalog, total weight with the integral motor is 6,550 lbs. The shipping weight was given at 7200 lbs.
I'm in the process of buying a 2A at somewhat more than scrap price and very happy to be able to get it.

jp

Thanks for the advice on the weight. Just walking around the machine, I had guessed closer to 5,000.

Glad to hear you're getting a deal, jp. I hope you'll post photos and progress reports when the time comes.

Just out of curiosity, what's the difference between a 2A and a 3A? Again, I'm no expert on these old horizontals and need to read up on them more.

The 3A is bigger. The catalog is in the shop and I'm at home so I can't get the measurements, but the total weight of the 2A is 5,200 pounds...
I think the totals included the gear driven dividing head and whatever tools came with the machine so they might be a little high... but not much.

Back