What's new
What's new

Help Identify this Oil Seal.

machtool

Diamond
Gentlemen.

I wonder if any of you might be able to point me in the direction of the manufacturer of this seal. I have reason to believe, its probably American in manufacture.

P1010527.jpg P1010531.jpg P1010528.jpg
P1010529.jpg P1010530.jpg

Dimensions are 3" I.D x 4" O.D. But its very thin. Case only measures 0.170", and the total height over the lip is 0.220"

Metal case. Seal isn't Rubber. Its one of the engineered plastics. My Google-Foo isn't finding me anything like it.

Reason I think its American, is because its out of a rotary draw bar cylinder, from a Hardinge Conquest S.P. Same unit is in the Conquest 42's. Its also just outside of a set of Kaydon thin section bearings.

I don't have any "meat" left in the end covers that hold these, so re-working them to some thing thicker is tricky.

Regards Phil.

Other thing to do is try a custom seal place, just have them machine it out of solid polymer if it does not have to hold back any real pressure?
I have custom seal places on fast dial. Combination of being even further removed from you. There's 3 or 4 that will knock me up a special seal. My preference is Chesterton Perth. They have a local agent that will drop around and measure metal size.

This time of year with daylight saving, they are 3 hours behind me, so I can order a seal by 5.00pm, 2.00pm West, and it will make the red eye flight, to be on my doorstep 8.00am. So I know about custom seals. Is this how you get 9,346 posts? Blah, Blah?

The lack of mfr Id and part no leads me to believe that this is proprietary and will have to come from Hardinge.
You could well be correct, but some thing off the parts list lead me to believe this is a purchased item. The numbering system was totally ass about face verses a manufactured item. I would have thought Hardinge had better things to do than make semi - plain 3 x 4" oil seal. Just thin as a super model waif

P.S I wouldn't be asking if I wasn't in the shit. National Hardinge agent is a mate of mine. He has nil stock.

I'm hoping one of the service guys have come across this before.

Back