What's new
What's new

Help identifying lathe

texasgeartrain

Titanium
I recently picked up a South Bend Lathe 16 x 6 at what was more or less an estate sale. While I was there I picked up a few other items including this mystery lathe I got for $100. I figured for the cost I couldn't go wrong, though I didn't really buy it with any expectations, other than it may make an interesting project.

The only tag I can find on it was a threading tag. I didn't notice any stampings or anything cast either, with names or numbers. Any help is appreciated.

157.jpg158.jpg159.jpg160.jpg161.jpg

I can't identify it either, but it sure is interesting.

It has no power cross-feed. There's a compound rest. This is later than the era of "rise and fall" tool holders

The left leg has a mounting hole for something, whereas the right leg does not.

Looks early 20th century to me, but very early like before 1910.

JRR

Last edited:
The sheer diversity of machine tool makes and even designs within a company boggles my mind. I found a website of Whitworth lathes somewhere and it just seemed to go on forever, every page a little different model. I've never seen it since.
The total number of lathes that have only one known example is also amazing, and also, when we find a rare or unknown (To us) brand or type lathe and begin to discuss the rarity of them the discussions commonly bring in people who also have that lathe.
So it was with the Dalton group, formed by two guys who assumed there were only three or four in existance, as of last count I think there are well over 100 known now.
The half nut lever on this one reminds me of the Star lathe my brother had for a while. But the HS is missing the knob at the lower left front, I think it had an internal tumbler and the knob shifted the feed forward and reverse.

Larry.

The only cone pulley lathe I ever saw where the Tumble reverse lever is outboard of the outer spindle bearing, but the reverse gears themselves are inboard was a Myers lathe built in Columbia PA.

Myers cast their name only on the legs and on the change gear cover. Both were missing on the Myers I encountered, leading to a long search to identify the maker.

However, the lathe in question in this thread CAN NOT be a Myers, as the apron, tailstock, and general shape of the headstock are different.

(See mwdropbox.com, year 2006 files with names beginning with "JRRUnkownLathe" for more on the Myers - and remember that I said it is NOT a match.)

I would encourage the OP to read the "sticky" thread about taking "Mug Shots" of a lathe, and then post these views for our study.

John Ruth

Lodge and Shipley? Cause of the brass plate and tailstock. But it also looks South Bend cause of those skinny legs and tailstock and the pillow blocks for the screw but where is the embossed name? Could it be a prototype?

Larry.

The only cone pulley lathe I ever saw where the Tumble reverse lever is outboard of the outer spindle bearing, but the reverse gears themselves are inboard was a Myers lathe built in Columbia PA....

John Ruth

Add the screwcutting version of the Rivett 504 to your list. The tumbler gears are inside and the thin sheet steel operating lever is outside, on the left rear of the headstock.

Larry

Rivett 504 bed nameplate 5.jpgRivett 504 headstock 2.jpgRivett 504 headstock 3.jpg

Just got out the pictures of my mystery lathe,which now resides at the rough and tumble steam museum. I sent pictures of it to Tony (lathes.co.uk) and to American Precision Museum. No one could put a name to it. It is identical to the machine you have. All but the compound slide. Apparently they were accessories in those days. The thread chart is missing from mine. The internal reverse gears increase the span of the spindle bearings,supposedly.

Thanks for the replies guys. After the first reply by conant a few days went by and i figured this thread would just die, and I have been busy at work, so imagine my surprise when I checked and saw all the great posts. So thanks guys.

Anyway, I hadn't seen the sticky for "mug shots" until Mr Ruth, aka SouthBendModel34 pointed that out. I should be off this weekend, so i will work on getting those pics taken and posted. Thanks again.

G'day Texasgunsmith, I believe you can rule out all British manufacturers as possible sources because the threading chart (photo 3) does not include 19 tpi which is very commonly included in UK-built lathes to screwcut British Standard Pipe threads. Apart from that, I'm no help in your search. Nice looking unit though.

Teflon Dave,

Not all South Bends have a nameplate or cast-in identification. My 1918 13" SB Model 34 has a brass threading chart on the left leg, but lacks the brass SB badge on the right leg. There are no holes for the "drive rivets" that would hold the SB badge to the right leg. (Other SB modle34's DO have that badge on the right leg. My lathe is either too early or perhaps there were shortcuts taken in the World War ONE rush.)

My lathe did have the South Bend name PAINTED or possibly decaled on the front of the bed behind the lead screw. This disappeared years ago when the lathe was repainted by a previous owner.

Larry, thanks for the nice phots of the Rivett.

Definitely a good "whatzit" thread!

John Ruth

Close but not a perfect match.
1893 Reed
View attachment 177955
John

Wow, you may be on to something there. When I first saw that heart shaped look on the lower portion of legs, i thought that was it. Apparently, there was a couple of companies that reed was associated with, merged or bought. F.E. Reed, Reed-Prentice or Reed & Prentice. I didn't find an exact match, but some others with similarities. Also some of the Reed machines I saw had short double vee's on both sides of ways.

Some adverts I found:

Attachments

• 169.jpg
    169.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 125
  • 170.jpg
    170.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 104
I didn't have a chance to get all the mug shot pics, as I had to move stuff around and its a little buried at the moment. But I got a few more, also I found a number stamped at the very end of tail stock end on bed, between ways. It looks like someone tried cleaning those numbers off previously with a hammer and screw driver.

Attachments

• 162.jpg
    162.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 107
  • 163.jpg
    163.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 100
  • 164.jpg
    164.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 127
  • 165.jpg
    165.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 82
  • 166.jpg
    166.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 145
These new photos have made me aware of something I should have noted in the original photos.

I previous noted that there's an empty mounting hole on the cross-brace of the left leg. I was thinking that might be for a post to store the change gear stack. I no longer see that as the likely purpose.

Now, I also note that there are mounting holes down near the floor on both back legs. That's almost certainly part of a foot-treadle mechanism. This lathe is so old that foot power was offered, at least as an option.

Not Myers, not Star, not Rivett 504. Matches an unknown lathe at Rough and Tumble. Compound rest rather than rise & fall. Optional foot power. 4 vee-ways. Hmmm....

Not sure how I stumbled on this thread, but I am a volunteer and member in the line shaft machine shop at Rough and Tumble, and will be out there tomorrow for a scheduled work day. This lathe is fully restored (Boy Scout Eagle project) and is in regular use at the museum.

I'll take some photos tomorrow!

That style of legs must have been common in that era.
Here is a Whiton centering lathe with similar.

This machine needs a new home, by the way.
Rather than sell it to the Leg Butchers, I'll box the parts and make a table myself.

Mike

Attachments

• sell center.jpg
    sell center.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 10

Back