What's new
What's new

Help identifying lathe

Colt Ables

Plastic
Long time follower, fist time poster. Thank you all for your willingness to share knowledge.

I have a friend whom ran across a machine shop going out of business, owner/only employee died and the family is selling everything off. Unfortunately no one knows anything about this lathe and it has no identification marks. “Flame hardened” tag looks like a Southbend, but this machine is way too new for that low of serial number from them. Would anyone be able to identify it from these limited pictures (link below)? I live 12 hours away or I would inspect it myself.

Lathe - Google Photos

This would be to supplement my 10ee as the drive is going out on it, provided it’s a brand/model that fits my needs.

Last edited:
Imported by South Bend. It will probably be of Taiwanese or Korean manufacture. Posting this in the South Bend Forum should get you more information.

Resembles my South Bend 450 though much smaller. Made in Korea. Might try to contact Rick Boulis, Georgia Precision 678-689-5316.

It has been identified as a SB 1308. Now the question is, are they worth having and what does a used one go for in unknown condition.

The threading gearbox looks like a Harrison M300. The apron is also a M300 with the leaky shift lever boot hidden behind the cover plate.
But the delrin end cap on the headstock is not correct. That may have changed over the years they were first made in 1971? still being made today. Sold under several names including cholchester, wilton, doall. Production shifted to China then back to England due to poor quality. I think they went back to China factories again.
Bill D

Harrison M300 & T300 lathes

From Practical Machinist:
Most of the components were made in Korea, but 51% of the content was US.
Model 1307 is similar.

Back