What's new
What's new

Help Identifying Old Lathe

Alexanderman

Plastic
Hello, I obtained an old, very heavy wood lathe that used to be driven from a belt driven by a shaft in the ceiling. That belt drove a shaft off the tailstock which ran under the lathe to the headstock. I haven't been able to find any identifying marks except for a very beat up logo:
Logo.jpg
The head has a morse taper shaft surrounded by a 10tpi threaded shaft approximately an inch in diameter.
I will post pictures of it shortly. Google searches of Buckner Woodard turned up nothing useful.
Thanks,
Alex

You might want to back up and take a few shots of the whole machine. There's a lot of knowledge on this forum about machinery, but sometimes it needs a good deal more info than what you have provided to come up with the eureka moment. It is possible that the logo you photographed might be the dealer who sold the machine, not the manufacturer, and is long gone as a working operation. There is also a website for old woodworking machinery: www.owwm.org that may be of additional help.

Thanks for your reply. As I was taking pictures of it, I noticed that the tailstock has J G Blount Co Everett Mass on it. This and the link you provided seems to identify it as a Blount Co. Manual Training Lathe. I will clean up the photos and post them shortly.
Apparently, the J G Blount Co. patented a new tailstock design in 1900, though part of it (the long handle) is missing in mine.

This would compare to: "Hi, there's an old car in my barn. Sticker on the trunk says "Schwind-Boeker". Please identify the car."

With a little less information, and fewer pictures, we could come to about the same conclusion... you have an old woodworking lathe.

Stand back about ten feet, point camera/phone, and click. Walk to one end, repeat, walk to other end, repeat. Bonus points to take a broom and brush off the worst of the sawdust, so that the framework, casting styling, controls, tool holding, etc., are actually visible, or if you're really serious, a gas-powered leaf blower and 30 seconds at full-throttle. Then look for casting marks, letters, numbers, dates... photo those.

Then post the photos here. Once guys see real pictures, someone recognizes the features, and you'll get a whole lot more for an answer.

That logo looks to me like one from BUCKNER WEATHERBY CO in Seattle. It's very common in the Seattle area to see it on older, high end, production woodworking machinery. I don't believe they used that logo on later equipment sold.

They primarily sold woodworking machinery, Delta and Powermatic in later years as the market for production machinery dried up. I believe the company had been around for many years prior to closing maybe 30+ years ago. Not long before closing the company they were purchased by a dealer in San Jose, CB Tool. My last visit to their showroom was an open house type event heavily promoting Jet machinery which had been headquartered in Tacoma. The emphasis on Jet seemed like an act of desperation.

Last edited:
OK, I figured out that it is a J G Blount Teaching Lathe. My new question is: It has a chuck spindle that is 1.5 inches in diameter and 10tpi threads. I have a South Bend metal lathe with several chucks, and they are 1.5 inch diameter but 8tpi threads. I have searched high and low for someone who will manufacture a spindle adapter with no luck. Lots of adapters out there, but none in the size I need.
Forcing an 8TPI onto a 10TPI is probably not a good idea :)
Does anyone know who builds adapters?

Back