What's new
What's new

Help Identifying Radius Tool Grinder

mturner3224

Plastic
Question for the group. I recently picked up this radius tool grinder. It has no manufacturer data plate or any indication of a model number or who made it. Would like to see if anyone on here can identify this grinder and possibly know where a online manual can be found. All I can find is it has a Baldor motor as shown in the pic. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 0327231938a.jpg
    0327231938a.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 32
  • 0327231938_HDR.jpg
    0327231938_HDR.jpg
    810.8 KB · Views: 30
radius tool grinder

It looks like a rather nice, compact, EM & drill type sharpener. Possibly with an airbearing spindle?

You probably could use it for radii; but unless there is one more (unseen?) slide, any radius would depend on the location and dress of the grinding wheel on the motor spindle. Does the motor have facility to advance/retract along the spindle CL? Is the workhead complete - meaning does it take collets as shown? Or is there an additional floating spindle to go in the workhead spindle location?

It has an air bearing spindle. I'm certain there is some kind of stylus that is missing from it. Would like to find a pic of what it would look like so I can make one. Fairly certain finding one would be next to impossible. X axis is controlled by the handle on the right. Radius is controlled by handle on the left. Height is controlled by handle seen on the rear. All other movements are controlled by manually settings and then are locked down. Motor only rotates with the radius adjustment. This thing is massive for it's size. Weighs between 300-350 lbs.

Attachments

• 0328231311a.jpg
    0328231311a.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 22
  • 0328231316.jpg
    0328231316.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 20
  • 0328231327.jpg
    0328231327.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 22
  • 0328231306a_HDR.jpg
    0328231306a_HDR.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 23
  • 0328231307_HDR.jpg
    0328231307_HDR.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 23
Radius is controlled by handle on the left.

It is a surprisingly complex arrangement in that it only appears to control the rotary axis; but only for setting an angle. Or for a more or less fixed radius.
The pivot appears to be closely constrained (lubricated bearing or adjustable sleeve) at the center pivot?
AFAIC see, there is no means to adjust radius except moving the wheel in or out on the arbor, though?

I had hoped the extra views would reveal a T-slot or similar for setting the finger rest, but don't see anything.
If the finger rest base goes in the keyed area it would change every time the wheel head was turned to a new angle.
Those spindles are what i expected to see .

There is no obvious rocker. Though that is not necessary, either.

Thanks for posting.
No doubt someone will be along soon who has used one. :)

smt

Last edited:
It looks like the motor/wheel spins around a centerline when the one handle is turned. But the swing is a little low to be of much use. I should think it would swing at least 90° so it could generate a ball end if it was intended to grind radii. Looks like it's only good for 60° from what I can see. Interesting contraption, nonetheless.

That is what I was wondering if the wheel head rotates to the radius or if the the air spindle swings.
Now it seems that I see how the wheel head would swing, and the protractor would tell the swing amount, going 45 and 15 degrees off zero....Agree 45 and 15 is not 90* (?).
Perhaps there is accommodation for a tooth rest finger bar on the other side of the air spindle barrel/tube.
The 4 socket head cap screws and key may be used to hold an adjustable tool end- stop (needed to run a radius), and a wheel height center line.

Last edited:
Ive had somewhat similar grinders that were for grinding /reconditioning ) the needles from big diesel injectors (ships and big gensets.).........whats the device on brackets off the back of the base casting?

Back