What's new
What's new

Help me identify older surface grinder

mcskelle

Plastic
Hi all.

I've had this surface grinder for a year and still havn't been able to identify it.
  • It features a gear driven mecanical movement of the table both in x and y axis. so no hydraulics.
  • All markings on dials a in metric system.
  • The spindle motor is inside the tower and below the spindle bearing which it drives with a belt. The spindle has just one rotational speed.
  • Has german writing on the on/off handle for the horisontal movement. german letters also on the manual magnetic table.
  • I would think the weight is around 800-1000kgs/1800-2200 pounds
  • It's bought in denmark.
  • The electrical box on the front is for sure quite a bit newer/retrofittet and is from danish company danfoss
  • The handle on the right move the table manually to the side, the handle in the middle move table in/out, the round thing on the left adjust the automatic movement distance from left to right, the round thing lowest, beneeth the middle handle, click-rotates in smal increments and seems to adjust the distance in the in/out movment per pass - but that does'nt seem to have any effect.
I've searched some local forums with no luck so far...

Does anybody have any clue?

kind regards
Thomas

20230330_171835.jpg20230330_171931.jpg

20230330_171851.jpg

20230330_171905.jpg

Thanks Frank. Yes, sure I have, but it's an extensive website, so I get back and search now and and again.
But my info is so limited, that I have only searched and filtered on super broard terms like "german" and "grinder"...

So far, no luck for me on lathes.uk :-(

wow, a cute machine! Would be nice to strip her, hand plane the surfaces with sandpaper and give her an automotive grade premium paint-job after refinishing the whole machine to sub-micron t.i.r. collectively on all axes... Definitely a german speaking region built machine, and definitely a small machine, but a nice one... I can`t give you much info, but i can advise you to try and reverse google image search for the machine... Find these posted pictures on google images and reverse search the machine therefrom... If you are lucky, there will be a few twin machines to yours that have some sort of name or brand mention on the page wherever they are posted... I have a Schaerer UN450 lathe, and that is from my experience now - one of those unicorn lathes that gets mentioned online like once every 15 years... I reverse searched for it and found like 5 posts in total of the same machine, or at least sister machines with some slight generational differences as is promised in the manual for that lathe... Sometimes knowing the name of a machine does you little good as what material is online in regards to that machine can also be lacking a name, so you can only find it by visual matching... Does you little good if you are searching for a manual, but you get my point...

Kind regards and all the best luck in your searching efforts!

P.s. i just reverse searched for it for like 15 minutes, trying all angles, sections and what not... I`m not saying that there is not a machine like yours online, but i have not found one by the suggested method... The closest to the design is Brown and Sharpe no.2 surface grinder, but that too is different in quite a few ways... Some Jung grinders look like this too, but again, different machines... I also found a few olden ELB grinders similar, but again, not the same machine... This is a wily bitch indeed... She be playin` tricks on us here...

P.p.s. take a few more pictures, some with better lighting, some with worse, from both sides, from front from a few feet away and a few closeups... That will offer some more research material for reverse image searches, but other than that, i can`t offer much...

Last edited:

Back