What's new
What's new

Help needed! I received a machine and it is rusted!

Porschefix

Hot Rolled
I could have searched the forum, I may yet but I need help now!.
Bought a pristine Deckel Pantograph off a eBay and it just got here. He apparently did not oil it down. Now it is rusty, REAL rusty, not just surface rust. Before and after pics show.

I am getting ready to go to Italy for a show and I don't have time to deal with this right now, Can anyone tell me how to stop this rust NOW and keep it from doing more damage? It will be 2 weeks before I can do anything besides the basic stop gap stuff. Please help!
Thanks.
IMG_8499_20160819_153011.jpgIMAG1270.jpg

What a Crime!!
Ship it back for a refund?? If that is not possible..
I guess I would scrub it down with vactra 2 and fine steel wool..
Leave a heavy coat of oil on it.. Travel to Your show and deal with
it when You return..
Good Luck..
Steve

( Buy a new ball bat and visit the seller shipper ) Just kidding..

Don't some kinds of wood promote rust on steel? Maybe the crate is made out of that?

Last edited:
It was in transit for about 9 days. The wood was plywood and it was dry outside, no sign of water damage and humid in the box.

I could have searched the forum, I may yet but I need help now!.
Bought a pristine Deckel Pantograph off a eBay and it just got here. He apparently did not oil it down. Now it is rusty, REAL rusty, not just surface rust. Before and after pics show.

I am getting ready to go to Italy for a show and I don't have time to deal with this right now, Can anyone tell me how to stop this rust NOW and keep it from doing more damage? It will be 2 weeks before I can do anything besides the basic stop gap stuff. Please help!
Thanks.
Assuming you don't have time to get it out of the crate and you will be back in a week to deal with it I doubt it will get much if any worse in that time. You could spray it with LPS3 but that will just make the derusting process all the more hassel when you get to it. Even seasoned dealers are often morons when it comes to using anti rust spray....although this time of year kind of unusual to see rust that bad unless it flat out was rained on...usually the problem is worse in the winter....when the truck goes up a mountain the iron gets cold, when back to flat land and warmer air the iron sweats even in a crate. But it's like pulling teeth to get some sellers to use anti rust spray....they just can't relate that what they are looking at in their shop can look like what your machine does now.

Yours is the worst case I've seen though.....makes me wonder if it wasn't that way to some extent before he shipped it and he used 5 year old photos for his ads ?

I had a dealer in California ship me a pristine Hurco 5 axis VMC and he thought he was going beyond the call of duty to shrink wrap the whole thing....and I mean real shrink heavy duty heat gun activated white shrink wrap, not stretch wrap. But he didn't use a drop of anti rust stray so a machine that was absolutely as new arrived to me with enough rust inside to cause me to waste a day cleaning it up. But was no where near as bad as yours.....that looks like more rust that could happen in transit...unless he included an open can of sulfuric acid in the crate.

File a complaint with Ebay. That is just not right and the seller should have taken precautions. Don't waste any time doing it either, you've got a limited complaint time frame.

Anything you use will have to come back off. I stock CRC, LPS, and "Fluid Film' - more for the motorcars than the machinery.

Most anything waxy that won't evaporate will do.

WD-40 would NOT be on my list for 2-plus weeks. I'd rather use linseed from the sawdust-making side of the house, grapeseed oil or olive oil from the kitchen.

Any of those should do well-enough for a mere few weeks and not unduly raise the paint nor the pain threshold when time comes to remove them.

Bill

I like the Boeing Boeshield products.

images

Rust Free to get the rust off, and T-9 to protect against rust in the future.

fluid film

it creeps into the spots you can't spray directly. One can ($8) will be sufficient. get some more photos for your ebay /seller activities BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING.

I'd be on Ebay notifying him you didn't get what you saw in the auction. Do all comms via Ebay so they have it on file. If no resolve than if you paid via Paypal I'd go next to them. Good luck.

I'd be on Ebay notifying him you didn't get what you saw in the auction. Do all comms via Ebay so they have it on file. If no resolve than if you paid via Paypal I'd go next to them. Good luck.

OK took photos, posted them in a return request for eBay, Wrote a note describing the damage. Going to try to bust off some of the big chunks now and mitigate further damage. Keeping it in my shop, climate controlled and dry.

OK took photos, posted them in a return request for eBay, Wrote a note describing the damage. Going to try to bust off some of the big chunks now and mitigate further damage. Keeping it in my shop, climate controlled and dry.

Keep it dry: Smart.
Mitigate further damage. Smart.
Bust off big chunks???? Why would you be working on a machine that you intend to return? What if the seller claims you made the problem worse?

I would hose it down with oil and await resolution through Ebay dispute system.

Rust like that can happen in a day. A cold machine meets humid air. I think putting oil on it is a good idea. It won't make it any
worse, and will prevent further decay. It's a bummer for sure. But if you don't get the resolution you want, it doesn't look
like it would be hard to bring back, just some elbow grease. But it won't be as pretty, as I don't know
how to undo the staining. Maybe metal polish??

Good Luck,.

Jon P.

Don't count on ebay or paypal to make it right...I bought an engine that was rusted up on the inside and found out there is a multitude of things ebay and paypal can use to deny your claim. Take steps now as if you are keeping the machine. Please keep us updated, I'm really curious to see if ebay will force a return...of course the seller may take it back on his own, as I believe ebay gives them that option first and if they contest the return, ebay "steps in".

Keep it dry: Smart.
Mitigate further damage. Smart.
Bust off big chunks???? Why would you be working on a machine that you intend to return? What if the seller claims you made the problem worse?

I would hose it down with oil and await resolution through Ebay dispute system.

You busted me, I fix things, I bring baby birds in and nurse them to health, kittens, dogs etc. I can't help but look at this poor machine and want to start resurrecting her. BUT, YOU'RE RIGHT! I'll stop with the oil spray and wait until I see what shakes out FIRST!
Thank you!

Another possibility is the trucker having his trailer cleaned with "aluminum brightener" while he was loaded. The brightener contains hydrofluoric acid, and it has been known to frost the windows on a truck if it was mixed too strong. It wouldn't take a lot of acid vapor to cause the corrosion you're seeing.

Back