What's new
What's new

Help Picking First Real CNC Mill

aclem08

Plastic
I'm a design engineer at a aerospace engineering firm that outsources all of our manufacturing. For the last 9 months I've been teaching myself CAM and machining on a Tormach 1100MX. We are now ready to purchase our first real professional mill. There's still plenty of learning left to do as well as figuring out the market for this added capability.

What our requirements are: exclusively aluminum plate (6061, 7075, 7050), very simple parts that are 1-2.5 plate with pockets and ribing or isogrid patterns, need about 26x22 (XxY) work envelope. Very little need for additional axis work, that's further down the road.

A Haas VF-3YT seems like the perfect fit. Should we upgrade to the SS or the spindle upgrade options? Any other machines or OEMs to consider? What other upgrades are a good idea?

Doing pockets and ISO grids at 8,000 RPM will get old pretty quickly. 12k or 15k will be much better. I run 6061 and 7075 at 16k. For bulk work that's fine, but I wish I had more for pocket floors, 3D surfacing and remachining with small endmills.

Regards.

Mike

I'm definitely checking them out. Priced fairly competitively with a similarly optioned VF-3YT

Back