What's new
What's new

help to identify an Oring

GMBM

Aluminum
Trying to identify an oring
I was unable to find anything in the parker oring book that showed this type cross section on an oring
The one other ring not shown in the handbook we use would be a Quad ring and that is not it either

Best way to describe the cross section is rectangular with a half moon on the top and bottom

The oring does not sit in a groove, one half of the ring is open to the oil port so we do not want to try a standard ring thinking the cross section has something to do with the application

It is exposed to 2500 PSI

The supply from the OEM is getting a little slow so we are trying to stay ahead of that

Hopfully the pictures show clear enough what we are trying to locate
Thank You for any input

Greg

Oring 1.jpgthumbnail.jpg

I'm not aware of any o-ring with that type of cross section. Not sayin' they're not out there, I just haven't seen any.

Is it possible that the original was made to look like that by the clamping surfaces?

We use Buena-N orings for a lot of stuff, and they can take a different shape when they are clamped down the twenty % called for.

I just received a batch of rectangular cross section rings from McMaster. They have a pretty good selection to choose from here:

Object moved

Hope this helps.

That cross section looks similar to "Tri-Clover" style sanitary gaskets used throughout

Dairy and food processing piping and vessels, but the "groove" you sketched does not.

Can't say I've seen anything like that outside of a faucet gasket. May be custom. Is this dynamically sealing a shaft not shown in the sketch (I'd think that would be weird)? Just throwing this out there but any possibility this is permanent deformation due to installation?

Just curious, how did this one fail? What is the make/model of the assembly?

Thank You for the replies so far
It is not deformed from installation as they have the feature from new

There is no shaft, that is an oil passage that the oring is sealing

For the most part the oring does not fail but needs to be replaced when other work is being done to the assembly

It does look like a tri clover seal. I will look into these but find it hard to believe they could or would be used in this application

Thank You
Greg

I do not see any advantage to that seal shape over a square or round o-ring since nothing is moving. I suppose the groove shape is not as critical to make. Maybe it is less surface area so less force to crush it down to seal. But why not just design for a smaller seal instead of a weird custom thing? Is it hard to hold in place when it is reassembled. Maybe it is less likely to shift out of place during assembly.
I might try using two o-rings of equal rod diameter(I forgot the term). one inside the other. The inner one seals the outer one prevents it from blowing out.
Bill D

Why not just make the groove a smaller diameter so there is no need to fill the square part if it does not exist. Of course then you have to use the correct cutter to make the groove. The existing design lets you use a cheaper standard square cutter that may already be in the machine to cut the face flat.
I understand that enerpac uses slightly custom seals so you have to buy rebuild kits from them. Things like the seal is not 30mm it is 30.31mm which no else one makes.
Bill D
Bill D

I understand that enerpac uses slightly custom seals so you have to buy rebuild kits from them. Things like the seal is not 30mm it is 30.31mm which no else one makes.
Bill D
Bill D

I have a heavy distaste for any OEM that needlessly avoids COTS items so simple as an o-ring simply to provide them a revenue stream later in life.

Programmed via Mazatrol

OEM says "RED" is better for sealing...... What about GREEN, BROWN, or the standard ones, BLACK? Color don't mean sh^t, you can get it any color you want it to be as long as a filler color is available for the compound you want to use.

I'm sure that's probably standard 90 durometer Nitrile or Buna N. OF course, it could be 90D HSN or HNBR. Take your pick. I doubt it's FKM for cost reasons. All the decisions of an engineer......

Thank You again for the input
I am going to call Martin Fluid Monday but dont think the santinary are the answer but they might be able to help

It is not a quad ring I use them often in gas sealing applications

Greg

Back