What's new
What's new

Help Verifying 10L 5C Collet Adapter Dimensions! Possible Lucky Auction Find?

Jaylude

Plastic
Hey all,

I ran across what I strongly believe to be a South Bend 10L 5C collet adapter at a local auction. Totally random find. No one had any idea what it actually was or belonged to, and the shop didn't have any SB lathes, so I'm not sure how to verify what it is without asking for some help from someone else who has one handy, and a few minutes to check some dimensions.

Hopefully I made this as easy as possible by drawing up the print below with all the measurements I took off the adapter. The only thing I didn't model/dimension was the internal 5C taper, just the clearance bore. Other than the remaining obvious dimensions (lengths, widths, etc) I also measured the OD along the outer proprietary SB taper at two precise locations - 0.750" and 2.250" from the face of the adapter. I did this by making a mark in dykem with a caliper along the taper, then measuring the taper OD at that exact location. Not perfect, but pretty good.

Anyways, what do you guys think - did I maybe get lucky?! Thanks!
5C adapter.JPG
20220314_175345.jpg
20220314_175359.jpg
20220314_175408.jpg

+1 on above. It not only fits the 10L, but 13" and 16" (at least). Is that a crack in it close to the neck? Also, it looks like someone filed down the indexing pin.

Thanks for the upload @johnoder, but there's no real info on the collet adapter itself in that picture, unfortunately. Just the spindle. Anyone have their collet adapter handy to check some of my dimensions?! Pretty please!!! :)

Thank you for the SB literature snippet @johnoder, but it doesn't seem to actually contain any dimensions from the collet adapter itself unfortunately, just the spindle internal taper. Pretty please :) could someone check a couple of the dimensions I provided and let me know what they find?!

From your drawing, what you have is the correct one for the 10L.
I measured mine which looks pretty much identical, and it is right on your numbers.
Photos below.
Hope this helps.
CWC(4)

IMG_1121.jpg
IMG_1123.jpg

Thanks guys! Huge help.

I guess I need to buy a lotto ticket, because when I picked up my auction wins today the guy said he found another adapter in the shop that looked like the one I grabbed yesterday, so he set it aside for me. It's almost identical, but the face OD is a bit smaller (2.300 vs 2.600") and chamfer on the face is a bit different. Otherwise, it appears to be the same overall length, accepts 5C collets (10 degree internal taper, pin is intact on this one) and has the same dimensions at the 0.750" and 2.250" from face locations along the OD taper, which seems to indicate it has the same SB spindle proprietary taper.

The appearance of the adapter in the eBay adds I've seen over the years always seemed to match the style of the first adapter I grabbed...any idea if SB made ones with different OD's on the face?

Original on left, new one from today on right
20220314_170525.jpg

20220314_170507.jpg

20220315_210042.jpg

I underlined the dimensions that are different on this new adapter in the print below
InkedCapture_LI.jpg

I'll just take one more shot at moving this one back to the top, in hopes someone might have an opinion as to what the second adapter is. I continued to poke around at eBay adds and the like trying to see if I could find an adapter that looked like this second one, but I've only found more that look like the original one I posted.

Thanks again to everyone who helped me out on this so far! I'm now working on making a handwheel drawbar and thread protector.

I'll just take one more shot at moving this one back to the top, in hopes someone might have an opinion as to what the second adapter is. I continued to poke around at eBay adds and the like trying to see if I could find an adapter that looked like this second one, but I've only found more that look like the original one I posted.

Thanks again to everyone who helped me out on this so far! I'm now working on making a handwheel drawbar and thread protector.
I read somewhere that threaded spindles, cam lock spindles and long taper spindles each had their own 5C collet adapter, the parts manual listed 3 different part numbers. A cam lock spindle would not need a threaded nose cone like a threaded spindle so the face dimensions would probably be different, same for the long taper.
Could account for the different dimensions in yours. John

My 13" Camlock spindle adapter and the MT adapter sleeve I believe are common to threaded spindles also. Here's my 5C adapter and my homemade draw tube.

Attachments

• 100_9053.JPG
    100_9053.JPG
    745.1 KB · Views: 11
  • 100_9054.JPG
    100_9054.JPG
    531.2 KB · Views: 10
  • 100_0044.JPG
    100_0044.JPG
    342.3 KB · Views: 10
  • 100_0065.JPG
    100_0065.JPG