What's new
What's new

Help with best 2-56 tap on copper 101 going down .600. Thousands of holes!!!

Tony_Halcyon

Plastic
Hi,

We are about to start a production job and will be tapping thousands of holes. Tap size is 2-56 and it needs to go down .580 through. We will be drilling with carbide and was planning on using OSG 2-56 H3 2.5P BTM ROLL HYPRO NRT TIN. Any suggestions on a better tap for headache free tapping. Thank you

Hi @Dan from Oakland yup, that's why we decided to go with carbide drilling so it will be more consistent. Just reading up and seen some people talking about Emuge or Nachi being the best brand. Just seeing if there are better options specifically for this application (Small diameter and deep) on copper 101. I prefer to make the upfront investment rather than banging my head through this project.

Balax threadfloer form taps are probably the best that I've used, get them coated, preferably with something hard like dlc b/c the copper is abrasive.

Although 6-4 Titanium and Copper are different, I have one Emuge tap with over 1000 roll tapped holes (In titanium) on it and still looks great. I am very meticulous on the drill size. I have tried several popular tap brands and none lasted more than 200 holes if that. Emuge will have my business.

Almost 7xD, I'd vote for a tap with thru coolant for process reliability. I've had to peck tap in aluminum with a form tap when the hole gets deep enough, just to get some coolant down the hole and keep things from galling.

Maybe you've done this but when I get a problem like this I call tech support. These days tech support can be iffy but if you get hold of a good tech they can really help. If you get hold of a crummy one you haven't wasted much time. It does seem to me more crummy ones are around these days.

Good luck!

Although 6-4 Titanium and Copper are different, I have one Emuge tap with over 1000 roll tapped holes (In titanium) on it and still looks great. I am very meticulous on the drill size. I have tried several popular tap brands and none lasted more than 200 holes if that. Emuge will have my business.
Emuge has their US base of operations near me. They have a full shop and can custom make anything to order. Give them a call and they can set you up with what you need. Very high quality for sure. I think they might do coatings in house as well.

Drills generally like neg rake in copper due to it being "grabby". I am told half round drills work great in brass but I dont know if they work well in copper too.

Back