What's new
What's new

Help with Dean Smith Grace 13x30 Crofts BOM-L Clutch plate replacement

Graham-KWVR

Plastic
Hi everyone, this is my first post here.

I volunteer at a Heritage Railway (Keighley & Worth Valley Railway) in the Loco Dept, repairing and restoring the locomotives, some of which date back to the 1880s.

One of our lathes, a DSG type 13 built at the end of WW2 has developed a clutch fault as some of the clutch plates have fallen apart. It has a dry multi-plate clutch made by a local company, now out of business. It's a "Crofts Patent BOM-L self adjusting disc clutch size 2.

I have attached some pictures and I wonder if anyone has any suggestions where we might source replacement parts, otherwise we may have to scrap this machine, which seems a great waste.

Also suggestions on where to source some friction material thickness around 1/8" or nowadays 3mm, we could try to manufacture some.

Thanks,
Graham

Attachments

• DSG Type 13.jpg
    DSG Type 13.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 65
  • DSC_0086.jpg
    DSC_0086.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 76
  • DSC_0087.jpg
    DSC_0087.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 63
  • DSC_0089.jpg
    DSC_0089.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 61
  • DSC_0084.jpg
    DSC_0084.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 60
Looks like a simple asbestos fabric disc(like Raybestos)......just cut out another one ...if you cant find any asbestos material,then youll have to buy one of the worthless modern no asbestos substitutes,and cut discs from that.

Spent many happy hours running exactly that type of lathe. Please try not to scrap- tis a darn good lathe. Easy enough to waterjet a new friction plate. Can’t recall the asbestos replacement material, I’m sure others will know.

L7

A local brake lining shop that bonds and grinds friction materials should be able to help. I replaced the linings on mine, just a little later but with the "Matrix" clutch. They are a lining used in automatic transmissions.

Year is 1953, apparently DSG had no parts for the Croft clutches back in 2015.

Back