What's new
What's new

Help with identifying the year

Don J

Plastic
Help with identifying the year of a 10L

Last weekend, after a long search, I finally came home with a lathe. A South Bend 10L.

There is no serial number plate on the gear cover, no serial number stamped into the ways. The threading plate looks to have been replaced as it is in much better condition than the surrounding area, does not lay very flat and there is nothing stamped into the Catalog number or Bed Length boxes.

I have heard that lathes which were used internally never got serial numbers stamped. I've also heard that's not true. :crazy:

Should I ever need to replace a part, I figure knowing about when it was manufactured could be helpful.

Wondering if anyone could help figure out about when this was built?

PXL_20220403_172540172.jpg

Last edited:
I found a couple of plates on the bed near the headstock.

Don't know if it's a serial number or just a part number or something else.
PXL_20220410_122936093.jpg

While you may not see it, serial number should be stamped on the flat, between bed ways of tail stock and saddle, on tail stock end. It is not that casting number in the pic you posted.

One reason it may not be visible is if the bed ways were ground, and they ground the flats as well.

Based on double tumbler qcgb, newer than 1940's.

Based on style of threading chart and lube chart of headstock cover, I'd say 1960's or 1970's.

While I can't see it close enough, is there nothing stamped on the blanks on the threading chart ? Maybe give us a closer pic there.

While you may not see it, serial number should be stamped on the flat, between bed ways of tail stock and saddle, on tail stock end. It is not that casting number in the pic you posted.

Based on double tumbler qcgb, newer than 1940's.

Based on style of threading chart and lube chart of headstock cover, I'd say 1960's or 1970's.

While I can't see it close enough, is there nothing stamped on the blanks on the threading chart ? Maybe give us a closer pic there.

I will check again on the bed at the tail stock.

There is no stamp on the threading chart. The chart looks to be a replacement based on it's condition and that it does not lay very flat against the cover.

I found a couple of plates on the bed near the headstock.

Don't know if it's a serial number or just a part number or something else.
View attachment 346830
newer than 12/12/1957 and older than 10/16/1967
X-bracing on 10L's started 12/12/57, optional flame hardened ways until 10/16/67, after that date all 10L's were hardened as standard.

I have a 10L that came from a local high school that supposedly dates to around 1968. It has the same cabinet as yours, but had the earlier red speeds and feeds plates. Jim

Back