What's new
What's new

Help with Replacement KO Lee T&C Grinder Motor Switch

jbacc

Hot Rolled
Good Evening,

Still working on my recent acquisition of a KO Lee model B960 T&C Grinder. The toggle switch for the work head needs to be replaced and I'm not sure of a source for it hence my inquiry here. The switch mounts (photos below) to the housing using two small screws and after quite a bit of searching, I can't seem to find a drop in replacement. I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction.

If I may, the wiring to the motor and switch is crumbling so replacement is in order. I'm not sure what kind of strain relieve is used where the wires enter/exit the motor housing. I attached a photo of that too in the hopes someone can guide me with that as well.

Many thanks and much appreciation.

Joe
IMG_5336 (2).JPG

Attachments

• IMG_5335.JPG
    IMG_5335.JPG
    823.9 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_5339.JPG
    IMG_5339.JPG
    850.3 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:

Joe Gwinn

Stainless
Insufficient information.

The pictures, while clear, are not all that helpful. In the top picture (of the face of the switch?), one cannot read the stamped text.

The other pictures are hard to interpret, for lack of context. Now, KO Lee will not have been making their own switches, so there is likely more information written on the switch body, under all those big heavy wires with red terminal insulation.

And, what kind of line power does B960 run on?

jbacc

Hot Rolled

The pictures, while clear, are not all that helpful. In the top picture (of the face of the switch?), one cannot read the stamped text.

The other pictures are hard to interpret, for lack of context. Now, KO Lee will not have been making their own switches, so there is likely more information written on the switch body, under all those big heavy wires with red terminal insulation.

Hi Joe,

The grinder runs off a phase converter. The motor is wired for 240 Volts. Based on advice I received, I purchased a replacement switch but I will have to make a plate/bracket if I want to use the 2 mounting screws that the original switch was mounted with.

Thanks for you input.

Joe

EPAIII

Diamond
It looks like a more or less standard toggle switch that has no threads on the barrel was attached by some means to a mounting plate. Perhaps they welded it or perhaps some kind of adhesive, I don't know. I doubt it is an interference fit because that would not stand up to multiple switching cycles. I would buy a standard toggle switch with a threaded barrel and mount it to the screw-on plate with the nut that comes with it.

Unless the toggle arm is broken off, and it does not appear to be, then it is in a center off position in your photo. That probably means you have a three position, ON-OFF-ON switch and will need to replace it with one with that functionality.

While toggle switches come with many internal switching arrangements, yours is probably a more or less standard one that is either SPDT or DPDT. A DPDT contact arrangement will work in either case.

And I can read the ratings in the photo and I assume you can do so too.

I also would go to the electronic parts houses for a replacement. They will have the best variety to choose from. Mouser is my current favorite but Digi-Key, Newark, and many others are also good. I would not go to Amazon or E-bay for this. Too much chance of getting junk. The electronic parts places will list the manufacturer and most of them will be good quality.

jbacc

Hot Rolled
It looks like a more or less standard toggle switch that has no threads on the barrel was attached by some means to a mounting plate. Perhaps they welded it or perhaps some kind of adhesive, I don't know. I doubt it is an interference fit because that would not stand up to multiple switching cycles. I would buy a standard toggle switch with a threaded barrel and mount it to the screw-on plate with the nut that comes with it.

Unless the toggle arm is broken off, and it does not appear to be, then it is in a center off position in your photo. That probably means you have a three position, ON-OFF-ON switch and will need to replace it with one with that functionality.

While toggle switches come with many internal switching arrangements, yours is probably a more or less standard one that is either SPDT or DPDT. A DPDT contact arrangement will work in either case.

And I can read the ratings in the photo and I assume you can do so too.

I also would go to the electronic parts houses for a replacement. They will have the best variety to choose from. Mouser is my current favorite but Digi-Key, Newark, and many others are also good. I would not go to Amazon or E-bay for this. Too much chance of getting junk. The electronic parts places will list the manufacturer and most of them will be good quality.
Paul,

Thanks so much for taking the time to help, I do appreciate it. You and others who have generously taken the time to respond have provided information that has been quite helpful.

Thanks again,

Joe

cngbrick

Aluminum
I want to point out that the switch has 9 connections and would be a 3PDT (3 pole double toggle) on-off-on.

I went through the same process with by BA860, wiring insulation had crumbled as well.

jbacc

Hot Rolled
I want to point out that the switch has 9 connections and would be a 3PDT (3 pole double toggle) on-off-on.

I went through the same process with by BA860, wiring insulation had crumbled as well.
Thanks much, I did confirm that when placing the order for the replacement. I appreciate your assistance. Just curious, did you old switch mount with 2 screws and if so, did you just mount the new switch using the stem or did you make an adapter plate?

Thanks again,

Joe

cngbrick

Aluminum
Hi Joe,

In my case I was able to reuse the switch as it was in great shape. I replaced all the receptacles with their modern equivalents and replaced the flexible wiring with type SOW or SOOW.

RT

jbacc

Hot Rolled

jbacc

Hot Rolled
Hi Joe,

In my case I was able to reuse the switch as it was in great shape. I replaced all the receptacles with their modern equivalents and replaced the flexible wiring with type SOW or SOOW.

RT
Thanks, what did you use as strain relief where the wiring exits/enters the motor housing?

reggie_obe

Titanium
Thanks, what did you use as strain relief where the wiring exits/enters the motor housing?
Something like: https://www.delcity.net/store/Strain-Relief-Cord-Connectors/p_800839.h_750411.r_IF1003?utm_term=&identifiers=pla-4577885387334974&Campaign=Shopping - Catchall&CampaignId=445029913&AdGroup=Catchall&AdGroupId=1188573056390575&AdId=74286034062410&Network=o&msclkid=7eb8826f3e5a142ccfcbe113d0f9903b&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Shopping - Catchall&utm_content=Catchall
Or another type of strain relief made by Heyco.

jbacc

Hot Rolled
Thanks, the challenge is the design of the head and the limited space. The strain relief in your links unfortunatley will not work due to the lack of space. I do appreciate your help.

Joe

Attachments

• IMG_5339.JPG
    IMG_5339.JPG
    850.3 KB · Views: 0

Dan from Oakland

Titanium
Hi Joe,

The grinder runs off a phase converter. The motor is wired for 240 Volts. Based on advice I received, I purchased a replacement switch but I will have to make a plate/bracket if I want to use the 2 mounting screws that the original switch was mounted with.

Thanks for you input.

Joe
Ours has a 3 phase motor on the work head. Its DPDT in order to reverse the motor direction. Pop the cover off and remove the switch- I think they were made by Krouse Hinds. I found one on ebay as I recall. Should be mfg name and model on the switch body.

jbacc

Hot Rolled
Installed the new switch today, works perfect. Thank you all for the help, much appreciated. Now I need to figure out what type of lube the KO Lee B943 power work head uses in the worm drive. I can't find any mention of it in any of the literature I looked at.

Joe