What's new
What's new

Helping A Friend Sell His Machine Shop

I was sent a PM yesterday......that my good friend Rick Berner passed away on May 26th 2016.......to say I'm stunned would be an understatement!

There is a going to be a memorial service, here's the info;

Richard Berner Obituary - Edward Swanson & Son Funeral Home | Madison Heights MI

There are no words that I can say at this time to convey my profound sadness at the news of his passing........

My condolences to his family.

Rick, Rest In Peace My friend..........

Kevin

A kick in the gut...made my stomach drop when I read this.

I only met him once, but he described himself as a humanist, and was absolutely wonderful to talk to. Very upsetting, very sad. Very draining to know that the world is without him.

What sad news.

I was traveling on the day of his auction and only won a couple of small items. But that did allow me to visit his amazing shop, where I was fortunate to meet Rick. He was on his way out but told me to go ahead and play with whatever I liked. I was hoping I would get the chance to get to know Rick. What a loss.

Very sad news indeed, a young man in most regards.

He had a top notch shop with XLNT machinery, which was very clean.

Sorry to hear of your loss Kevin, loosing such a young friend is terrifying.

Did he have some type of medical condition that triggered the liquidation?

Regards,
Alan

Hi Folks,

It's indeed sad to see this happen, to see a life's passion wind up in large part on an "auction block", but here it is.
This is what remains of Rick's collection of tools, machines and collected mechanical ephemera. There are items that did not sell in his previous auction that are not in this one. Rick was selling and trading until the end.

If any of you acquire anything from the auction, please think of him as you use and enjoy it.

Cheers Rick!

Lee Stevens Machinery | Estate of Richard T. Berner/Berner Scientific - Gear Machinery, Gauges, Mics, Cabinets, Benches, Tooling, Scientific Lab Items AND MUCH MORE!! lots

P.S. I notice while looking through the catalog that there are some machines listed without photos. Those pictures should be posted fairly soon.

And now they are..., as of Saturday morning.

Last edited:
Is there someone nearby who would be interested in picking up, packing and shipping some items from the above auction for a reasonable fee?

Regards,
Lucky7

I met Rick at an auction at Kitchener gear 10 years ago I bought a lot of stuff I thought was scrap he gave me 100$ for a small part of it even though he knew I thought it of no value. He helped move and load some of my stuff I helped him sure seemed like a nice guy, he gave me his card and told me stop by sorry I missed an opportunity... Trevor

I will offer to ship up to five medium flat rate boxes with whatever items you may want to purchase, at the cost of the medium flat rate box sent via paypal gift.

I would ask that you make a donation to the charity of your choosing in payment.

If you would like me to do this, you have to contact me at least a day before the bidding ends, so I can limit my involvement. I would also ask that you be very patient with shipping. I just returned from Mayo yesterday with my father, and the news wasn't great. I was sincerely impressed by Rick though, and would love to help.

With that said, I'm sure I'll buy at least one item...so I'm sure I'll be at the pickup. If you need me to pick up a larger item (that can be safely moved by hand power only)...I can very likely work out picking it up for you so that you can make it up at a more opportune time, or so that you can have another local friend arrange shipping, or whatever.

Fair enough. Do you know who got the Stenhoj press ? Wondering if a dealer that might have it for resale....

I know you only go for the ultimate of a particular machine tool, so what makes this press better than the rest?
What about Amada's smallest press ; still too big and heavy ?
Thoughts on the OTC Press?

Hi Folks,

It's indeed sad to see this happen, to see a life's passion wind up in large part on an "auction block", but here it is.
This is what remains of Rick's collection of tools, machines and collected mechanical ephemera. There are items that did not sell in his previous auction that are not in this one. Rick was selling and trading until the end.

If any of you acquire anything from the auction, please think of him as you use and enjoy it.

Cheers Rick!

Lee Stevens Machinery | Estate of Richard T. Berner/Berner Scientific - Gear Machinery, Gauges, Mics, Cabinets, Benches, Tooling, Scientific Lab Items AND MUCH MORE!! lots

The auction block is an unfortunate part of life. The disappointing part is that in our desire to make life easier, we have went from a live auction where you connected with people of similar interest. But I also completely understand the necessity of a "profitable" auction. In talking to Rick at the last auction, he said one of those unnerving things he has been through was the waiting for the previous auction to commence. Hoping for appropriate weather, no terrorist attacks, no unnerving news reports, etc. One of his previous experiences was an auction that was the same week as 9/11...watching a life's collection sell for pennies on the dollar.

Back