What's new
What's new

Hendey 14x30

Mikedulcan

Plastic
Looking for serial number look up, serial is 37061. Any help on history of this thing would be appreciated as well. Thank you in advance.

Here is one of the how-to photo posting threads

Mikedulcan:

I am recovering from recent surgery, so sitting and typing are a bit tiring. I will
post the history of your lathe in a few days, which was well tooled when ordered. To get things rolling, I will tell you that your lathe was completed on June 6, 1947 and that the original owner was the E. B. Lanman Company, East Chicago, Indiana.

Hendeyman

Mikedulcan:

The following information was taken from the original Order Form. Any information in parenthesis is my addendum.

Date Ordered: - May 22, 1947
Date Started: - May 26, 1947
Sold to: - The E. B. Lanman Company, East Chicago, Indiana
Ship to: - Same
Via: - New York Central Rail Road Company
Wanted: - Immediately from stock
Description: - 14" x 30" - 18 Speed Geared Head Lathe CR (Compound Rest) - to swing 16-1/2"
Oil Pan
Regular Equipment (as shown in catalog)
Timken Roller Bearings on Main Spindle - Multiple Splined Shafts
Taper Spindle Nose
Spindle Speeds - 19 to 1000 RPM
High Speed Reversing Mechanism
Taper Attachment
Furnish and Fit Sjogren #3 Collet Chuck for Taper Spindle Nose
2 - Round collets for above chuck, sizes as follows: 1" and 1-5/16"
Furnish and Fit 12" 4-jaw steel body Independent chuck for taper spindle nose
Furnish and Fit 10" 3-jaw steel body Universal chuck for taper spindle nose
Furnish and Fit #18 Jacobs Super ball Bearing Drill Chuck
Thread Chasing Dial
New Style Follow Rest (Bridge Style)
Pump and Piping
Arranged for Vee Belt connected Motor Drive with Motor in Cabinet Leg
Furnish and Fit 5 HP Ball Bearing Motor - Frame 284 - 220 volts - 3 phase - 60 cycles - 1200 RPM
together with magnetic reversing starter
Furnish and Fit HENDEY reversing push button station built into gear box

There are still some repair parts left in inventory for this lathe. All of the original drawings are still in the files, so parts can
be made if required. If I can be of further help, contact me at: [email protected]

Hendeyman

I hope you are feeling better my friend! Thank you so much hendyman! This is unbelievable the info you have. Where do you find this info at? I haven’t got the apron apart yet, some controls seem gummy in there with old dried oil. Other than that the two brass wear gears that drive the spindle are the only other suspect parts. Would you happen to know where i could purchase some of these?

I hope you are feeling better my friend! Thank you so much hendyman! This is unbelievable the info you have. Where do you find this info at? I haven’t got the apron apart yet, some controls seem gummy in there with old dried oil. Other than that the two brass wear gears that drive the spindle are the only other suspect parts. Would you happen to know where i could purchase some of these?

Mikedulcan:

I am doing much better, but I am restricted to working on drawings this week. Next week, light machine work.

I have told the history of how I came to be the caretaker of Hendey material, but here is a quick list. Hendey was bought by
a corporate raider named Freddy Richman is 1952 and sold at auction in October of 1954. Barber Colman bought the
Hendey lathe and shaper line and manufactured it until 1962. In 1977, they sold the lathe and shaper line to Aable Machine
Tool of National City, California. In 1987, Tom McCune, the owner of Aable retired and moved to Elfrida, Arizona to property
owned by his wife's family. He came out of retirement shortly after the move and set up shop in McNeal, Arizona, about six
miles from Elfrida. Since we were neighbors, he asked me to handle the drawings and parts for him and he would handle
sales. In 2005, he had developed dementia and decided to close the business and he asked me to continue with the drawings and parts. Family members fought this plan and it wasn't until 2020 that I finally had all of the drawings and parts from the original agreement and this required waiting for the contesting family member to pass away. The goal now is to restore all the drawings that were destroyed by Barber Colman and Aable and thathave been preserved on microfilm. When
this project is completed, we should have complete sets of drawings back to 1883.

If you would post a few pictures of the parts in question, I will check the inventory. The drawings are still in the files, so these
parts can be made.

Hendeyman

I would be happy to take images and make CAD files out of them, if that would be helpful to you.
Thank you for your kind offer, I will definitely keep it in mind. I should give you a better idea of what we are dealing with.

Finding a given drawing in the Hendey files can be a bit time consuming and frustrating. I have been at this for over thirty years and there are times I have asked " where the hell did they put this stuff". Prior to 1911, all drawings were not filed by drawing numbers, but by machine models and then the numbers. Without the machine model you don't have the slightest idea of where the drawing was filed. About ten years ago I found two drawings that listed all of the machines models built before 1920 and the list built after 1920 until the end of production. The first list has 105 machine models with a few blank numbers. The higher the number the more modern the machine. When a machine went out of production or became obsolete, the number was reassigned. For example, the first seven numbers were assigned to planers, but when they went out of production, the numbers were assigned to the crank shapers. In the 1892-94 period, the company introduced four machines that may never have made it passed the prototype stage and certainly never considered a stock item. Individual part drawings were not introduced until about 1911, so each sheet contained a number of parts, some from different machines! Except for a few drawings, none of the pre-1900 hard copy drawings have survived, but have been preserved on microfilm. The plan is to digitize these drawings and print them to their original size. For anyone interested in the machines contained on the pre-1900 list, Tony Griffiths (UK. Lathes) asked my permission to post them on his website. The post 1911 drawings are another can of worms that I will explain tomorrow.

Hendeyman

Thank you for your kind offer, I will definitely keep it in mind. I should give you a better idea of what we are dealing with.
Yeah, I can't help much with digging through files and microfilm from out here in California, but I think generating CAD files from old prints would be a fun project, if that's something you need done. I have a Hendey myself that I need to get put back together, they are some cool machines.

Last edited:

Back