What's new
What's new

Hendey Apron Assembly Help Needed

682bear

Aluminum
I'm working on a 1944 Hendey 12x30 12 speed gearhead lathe.

I've disassembled the apron to clean the oil pump and oiling system, carefully noting where and how everything goes in. As I was disassembling it, I was carefully watching to make sure no parts fell out unnoticed.

Apparently, I wasn't careful enough.

After disassembling, I was cleaning the gunk and swarf that came out of it off my workbench, and found what looks to be a small check ball in the gunk. It measures about 0.117 diameter... smaller than the two check balls in the pump.

20230329_082144.jpg

I've double checked to make sure both check balls are still in the pump...

I've looked at all of the various assemblies, and haven't found any obvious place that it might belong.

I know there are a few members here who have been inside a Hendey apron before... I'm hoping someone can tell me where this goes.

Thanks...

-Bear

No, it's way too small to be one of those... they measure .250"...

It's possible that it doesn't belong... just a piece of flotsam that made it's way in sometime in the last few decades... not likely, but possible.

It would almost have to be part of the oiling system... too small to be a detent ball or bearing... IDK...

-Bear

Hmmmm I can't think what else it could go to. The only check balls in the oiling system are in the pump. I don't remember there being any spring loaded detents that the ball could be a part of. Of course it has been almost 3 yrs since I had my apron apart, and my memory is not what it used to be...

That is pretty much 3mm. Has anything been added to the lathe that would have been made in metric land? Maybe a ball from a detent oiler, or whatever those things are called.

That is pretty much 3mm. Has anything been added to the lathe that would have been made in metric land? Maybe a ball from a detent oiler, or whatever those things are called.

No, nothing added that I have found...

I have discovered some strange things stuffed inside lathe aprons before... the first Hendey Tie Bar that I refurbished had maybe a couple of feet of plastic tubing cut into 2 inch pieces in the apron when I took it apart...

-Bear

Back