What's new
What's new

Hendey (BC) lathe on stilts

Probably just to make the electrical connections and filming easier? Not sure if that was the original shop, if so then very strange.

I think the guy in the video is very short....too!

Very impressed on how fast that lathe stops on a dime. I wouldn't even know how to act with a lathe that stops on a dime.😨

Barber Colman era Hendey lathe. But why is it on stilts? same auction has a 10EE jacked up too.

A guy could build a wood walkway/platform in front and adjust to his perfect height. Easier on old legs.
That guy is isnt very tall. It looks raised 6 to 8 inches

Edit. Raised more like 12 inches

Last edited:
I'm average height, but I've seen a lot of shops/machinists intentionally raise their machines 4-6" in an effort to keep from bending over to operate, and IMHO it's not worth it. You'll still have a crick in your neck if you're running it non-stop and you have to lift chucks and work that much higher.

I'm average height, but I've seen a lot of shops/machinists intentionally raise their machines 4-6" in an effort to keep from bending over to operate, and IMHO it's not worth it. You'll still have a crick in your neck if you're running it non-stop and you have to lift chucks and work that much higher.
Oh heck yes, Most of the people in our shop are over 6 feet tall. many machines are raised.

Back