What's new
What's new

Hendey Cone Head Tiebar

I searched the forums and asked this question on other threads before starting this thread after no one responded. I have a 1919 Hendey 14X6 lathe. I started dissembling it to clean it and repaint it, and inspect everything. I have come across this part that is at the rear of the tiebar where all of the gears are. It looks like it shouldn't be like this. However, I have seen countless others that look like this too so I am unsure. Does anyone have information to share? If this isn't factory, what do you recommend for a fix? Merry Christmas as well....IMG_0701.jpg1.jpg

MillCreekFabTiebar:

The Intermediate Gear is designed for oil, not grease. Clean off the grease and post a few tight shots of the Spindle Gear and the
Intermediate Gear in and out of mesh. Because the Headstock Cone Pulley only runs in one direction (I am not considering a two speed
shaft with a reversing clutch), the Intermediate Gear doesn't require a detent to stay engaged. The Intermediate Gear is engaged or
disengaged by pushing or pulling on the flange on the gear bushing. Your lathe is a 1918 model and the Ball Handle Shifter was not
introduced until 1922.

Hendeyman

MillCreekFabTiebar:

The Intermediate Gear is designed for oil, not grease. Clean off the grease and post a few tight shots of the Spindle Gear and the
Intermediate Gear in and out of mesh. Because the Headstock Cone Pulley only runs in one direction (I am not considering a two speed
shaft with a reversing clutch), the Intermediate Gear doesn't require a detent to stay engaged. The Intermediate Gear is engaged or
disengaged by pushing or pulling on the flange on the gear bushing. Your lathe is a 1918 model and the Ball Handle Shifter was not
introduced until 1922.

Hendeyman

I will work on those pictures over the weekend. I only said 1919 because in another thread after supplying the serial number, you responded saying it is a 1919, however, they look the same so I wouldn’t know the difference lol

MillCreekFabTiebar:

introduced until 1922.

Hendeyman

I took these pictures for now after cleaning it up a bit. The grease was in it when I got it. You can see that it is busted. The serial number on this one is 21582.12.jpg13.jpg14.jpg

I took these pictures for now after cleaning it up a bit. The grease was in it when I got it. You can see that it is busted. The serial number on this one is 21582.View attachment 337800View attachment 337801View attachment 337802

You can see the bearing on mine in this picture...

20201229_082708.jpg

Question for Hendeyman... why are some of the headstocks made with the intermediate gear in line with the spindle gear and clutch gear like MillCreeks, and some are offset to the front like mine?

Thanks- Bear

You can see the bearing on mine in this picture...

View attachment 337803

Question for Hendeyman... why are some of the headstocks made with the intermediate gear in line with the spindle gear and clutch gear like MillCreeks, and some are offset to the front like mine?

Thanks- Bear

Thank you Bear. Mine is just like yours it looks to me. Only mine is broke off. I am curious if this part can be made.

Dunno. Lot of wizardry went into machine-tools, "back in the day" ....before ordering from Amazon, McMaster-Carr.. or "finding" stuff on eBay was possible.

D'you suppose Hendey hatched them from eggs... or grew them from seeds?

Clever folk, those Connecticut Yankees... Very!

:D

I hear you. The thing that I like about this cross bar system is it is shaped like a triangle. In structural engineering, triangular shapes are the strongest. If my memory serves me correctly. In addition, I would love to read the engineer’s mind that designed these to see if my theory is correct about these cone head machines. I purchased this one with the intent to start making axles and spacers in house for my chopper and trike builds. I wasn’t aware at the time how old or how cool these machines are until I started researching it. Now I am on the journey to refresh and restore it to the best of my ability because it deserves it in my opinion. It is our history. I am documenting this on my YouTube channel @ Mill Creek Fab Shop.

Stiffer, certainly, lighter often. LightEST and strongEST, not always.

I did mention eggs?

:)

In any case, a tie-bar also has similarities to an arch, not solely to triangulation. The goal was to improve resistance to mis-alignment of spindle bearing axis at less spend in mass, and lesser obstruction to power transmission line than other approaches, such as "boxing in" as gear-heads do.

It was simple, elegantly efficient, hence economical, worked well, has lasted a long time, is not yet offering to quit.

This is what I love about this site. It is almost like reading poetry haha. I wish you a Merry Christmas. May your new year be blessed my friend. 😁🎄🎁👍

I may be wrong but I thought the question was why Hendey put the idler stud in a different place on his lathe as opposed to the location of the OP's photo. I think first of all the two lathes are of different size. In order to get the correct gear ratios for the most used threads was the stud location had to be moved on a smaller lathe.
Answers seemed to be as to why the tie bar is being used.

Stiffer, certainly, lighter often. LightEST and strongEST, not always.

I did mention eggs?

In any case, a tie-bar also has similarities to an arch, not solely to triangulation. The goal was to improve resistance to mis-alignment of spindle bearing axis at less spend in mass, and lesser obstruction to power transmission line than other approaches, such as "boxing in" as gear-heads do.

It was simple, elegantly efficient, hence economical, worked well, has lasted a long time, is not yet offering to quit.

"Igualmente". And I plan to "make it so", thanks.... legions of zombified arseholes as have traded brains for legs and loud mouths based right next door in the Metro DC "swamp" notwithstanding.

Where TF is forty days and forty nights of rain when we really NEED it?

Noah? Have you ever heard of a "Kingston valve" or the term "scuttle"?
We have a small design change in mind for Revision A.

:D

I may be wrong but I thought the question was why Hendey put the idler stud in a different place on his lathe as opposed to the location of the OP's photo. I think first of all the two lathes are of different size. In order to get the correct gear ratios for the most used threads was the stud location had to be moved on a smaller lathe.

You could read the whole thread instead of just the most-recent few posts? "Things come up" for a new owner.

I haven't RUN a tie-bar since the dawn of the 1960's. Former line shafter, it were.

I asked Karl W_ how old it was:

"Bill? I've been here 23 years and it was already OLD the year I started!"

Still there when I returned 1970, second slot in the Executive carpark, too. My FIAT sporty car, later BMW 4-dr Sedan. Not the Hendey.

Probably still running, some former employee's son or grandson's basement - but it will have outlasted more than just two company owners even before that, given it was bought USED, 1920's. The weak-kneed, spaghetti-bed South Bent 13" it replaced was already in the Chief Engineer's basement! Might still be, given his only Son kept the house pretty much intact?

Durable goods Henry Hendey and his krews built. Very durable!

Hendey History

Class, Pilgrim. Class.

Class tells, class sells, and "class".. will never let you down.

Thank you for your post and sharing the Hendey History link 👍🎁🎄😁

Both lathes are 14x30's... his was made in 1918, mine in 1920... my 1921 is offset, also, but I have a headstock from 1938 where the fixed shaft is centered... all are 14" headstocks.

Both of my 12" lathes (1917 and 1918) are centered.

-Bear

Back