What's new
What's new

Hendey Lathe 16X8

oldironpeddler

Plastic
I am very new to this so here is what have. I bought a 16x8 Hendey Lathe at an estate sale. All I know about it is that I wanted it and I now own it. When I went to look at it. I was told it was wired to run but it had been disconnected from the box, so I could not see it run. After I bought it I came home and learned a lot here by reading different forums. I believe it is a 1920's or 30's just by looking a pictures posted. The motor sits underneath the frame with pulleys. Here is where I get concerned. When I went back to make arrangements to pick it up, it came with some extra parts, and not in a good way. I have figured out that the parts go on the side and housed a clutch, I think. I say this because it has a fork for a throw out bearing, that is what it looks like to me. I do not have any shaft for clutch or pulleys. I know something is missing, just not sure what. I am hopeful that when I go back to pick it up to look for the other parts. It appears this old guy never got rid of anything, so I am hoping they are some where in the shop. I have included some pictures of the lathe. The lighting isn't so good and the extra parts. Any help with what I need to look would be great. Also can these parts still be bought. Of course the main question is do I have a lathe I can repair and use or a nice yard ornament for my shop. I would really appreciate any help.

I also just got a Universal #1 Horizontal belt driven Mill with a Lima motor, and a Webb Milling Machine with a Champ base. I really do want to learn how to use these older machines. Thanks again for any help
Lathe Small.jpgLathe Parts 1.jpgLathe Parts 2.jpg

johnoder

Diamond
Its a EBM or ECM - which refers to Enclosed Belt Motor or Enclosed Chain Motor. The second scan gives an idea of what is in that leg under the headstock. Third scan side view

Attachments

• Scan 01_1.jpg
    Scan 01_1.jpg
    162.7 KB · Views: 16
  • Scan 06.jpg
    Scan 06.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 16
  • 20220619_142727.jpg
    20220619_142727.jpg
    243.4 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:

oldironpeddler

Plastic
Thank You John for the pictures and information. I hope to go back this week and pick it up. I will look for what I think are the items needed and show the pictures to the family member. Maybe they can help me locate them as well. If I cannot locate them is it very difficult to find the missing parts I need or am I outta luck?. Thanks again for your help and quick response.

johnoder

Diamond
Thank You John for the pictures and information. I hope to go back this week and pick it up. I will look for what I think are the items needed and show the pictures to the family member. Maybe they can help me locate them as well. If I cannot locate them is it very difficult to find the missing parts I need or am I outta luck?. Thanks again for your help and quick response.
Its an odd ball for sure - but only in the stuff in / on that head stock leg and with the motor whose shaft enters that head stock leg. Hendeyman is likely to have parts drawings if something has to be made. Naturally, another 16" EBM / ECM (as the case may be) as a parts donor would be a prize.

Here is the ordinary 1920ish "manual" which won't address the EBM / ECM.

Have Fun

I jotted down what caught my eye

Attachments

• 16 EBM or ECM.jpg
    16 EBM or ECM.jpg
    408.1 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:

hendeyman

Stainless
oldironpeddler:

If you will post the Serial Number for your lathe, I should be able to give your a bit of its history. The EBM/ECM were only
built for about seven years with production ending in 1929. There are no longer any Patterns, Castings or Repair Parts left
in inventory for this lathe, but all of the original drawings are still in the files, so parts can be made if required. I stock copies
of the Operator's Manual, Parts Book and Sales Brochure if you are interested. Recently, I have been helping a man in Oregon
who has been rebuilding his ECM. I have been able to locate some of the assembly drawings for his machine, so these may
be of some .help to you when you start working on your lathe.

Hendeyman

oldironpeddler

Plastic
Hendeyman, Thank you for the information. I will definitely will be getting back in touch with you as soon as I get it home. I would like any printed information on it I can get. Thanks

oldironpeddler

Plastic
Well I finally got my Hendey Lathe home today. Lets just say it was way more complicated than it should have been. I really do not like having to hire someone to move something for me, enough said. When I went back to get it I told the man that some parts were missing and asked if I could look around for them. He was fine with that and it did not take long to find what I was looking for. An old box full of parts that appeared to be what I needed. I wasn't sure that everything in the box went with the lathe, but we decided it was better to have too many parts than not enough. I feel a lot better knowing I should have what was missing. I also located the serial number once I got it home. The serial number is 25503. I am going to include some pictures of the lathe and all the parts. Any and all help is greatly appreciated. Also I know that Hendeyman said he had some books and information on it. How can I go about getting that from you? Thanks Again.

Attachments

• Hendey Parts 3.jpg
    Hendey Parts 3.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 19
  • Hendey Parts 2.jpg
    Hendey Parts 2.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 17
  • Hendey Parts 1.jpg
    Hendey Parts 1.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 20
  • Hendey 2.jpg
    Hendey 2.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 22
  • Hendey 1.jpg
    Hendey 1.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 23
  • Hendey Serial Number 1.jpg
    Hendey Serial Number 1.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 23

hendeyman

Stainless
oldironpeddler:

Hendey lathe No.25503, a 16 x 8 EBM model was completed on December 19, 1924. It was shipped with a Taper Attachment
and a set of No.3 Collets. The original owner was the Packard Motor Car Company, Main Division, Detroit, Michigan. I have
copies of the Operator's Manual, Parts Book and the Sales Brochure ready to send to you. When you need drawings for this lathe let me know. Contact me directly at: [email protected] for prices on any drawings or literature you may need.

Hendeyman

hendeyman

Stainless
oldironpeddler:

I noticed in the first picture you posted that the Reverse Rod and the Auto Stop Rod were missing, by any chance do you have these items?

Hendeyman

hendeyman

Stainless
oldironpeddler:

One easy way to determine the approximate age of an EBM/ECM is whether its has a Treadle or Pedal or neither. In the original design of 1922, a Treadle Bar was supported between the Cabinet Legs. In 1923, it was changed to a Pedal. Both
controlled belt tension allowing the spindle to be stopped or started when making measurements. By 1925, the belt had been
replaced by the Silent Chain Drive and both of these items were no longer required. Your picture of the parts you got with your
lathe shows that your lathe was equipped with the Pedal.

Hendeyman

oldironpeddler

Plastic
oldironpeddler:

One easy way to determine the approximate age of an EBM/ECM is whether its has a Treadle or Pedal or neither. In the original design of 1922, a Treadle Bar was supported between the Cabinet Legs. In 1923, it was changed to a Pedal. Both
controlled belt tension allowing the spindle to be stopped or started when making measurements. By 1925, the belt had been
replaced by the Silent Chain Drive and both of these items were no longer required. Your picture of the parts you got with your
lathe shows that your lathe was equipped with the Pedal.

Hendeyman

Gentlemen, Thanks for the replies.

Hendeyman thank you for the information about where my Hendey lathe started its life. I know that the Packard Motor Company went out of business in the late 1958/59. The man who owned it had retired from Canon Mills. It was one of the largest textile cotton mills here in the south. He also never traveled more than 50 miles from the place he was born except for his military service, according to his family. Cannon Mills had a very large machine shop to keep all the equipment working. Cannon Mills closed in 2003. I can only speculate that Cannon Mills purchased it from Packard when they went out of business and the man acquired it when Cannon closed.

All the parts I have are the ones I have pictured. I do have a couple of braces that I am not sure where they go and a handle. I have attached a picture of them. All that you see is all that I have. I am still not exactly sure what you are talking about when you ask about the reverse pedal or where it goes. If you have any specific pictures of what I need to look for, I have no problem going back and continue to look for them. The family has been very nice to work with me on this. I am really looking forward to bringing this old lathe back to life. Thanks again.

Attachments

• Hendey Parts 5.1.jpg
    Hendey Parts 5.1.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 4

hendeyman

Stainless
oldironpeddler:

If you will refer to the picture that Johnoder kindly posted, labelled scan 01, you will notice a pedal located at the bottom of the
left hand cabinet leg. In your picture it will appear as a slot because it has been removed and is shown in your pile of parts.
It has nothing to do with Reversing Mechanism, which is located under the Headstock and is controlled by the Handle shown
in Hendey Parts 5.1jpg. as well as the other parts shown in that picture. You appear to be missing the Reversing Rod. The Pedal controls the tension on the drive belt and was used to stop the spindle when taking measurements. The same action could be done with the clutch, but the Pedal is a bit quicker and easier. Also, I could not tell from your first photograph (its a bit dark) if the original Interlock system is still in place. If it has been removed or changed and you want to restore it, I have the original schematic in the files.

Hendeyman

oldironpeddler

Plastic
oldironpeddler:

If you will refer to the picture that Johnoder kindly posted, labelled scan 01, you will notice a pedal located at the bottom of the
left hand cabinet leg. In your picture it will appear as a slot because it has been removed and is shown in your pile of parts.
It has nothing to do with Reversing Mechanism, which is located under the Headstock and is controlled by the Handle shown
in Hendey Parts 5.1jpg. as well as the other parts shown in that picture. You appear to be missing the Reversing Rod. The Pedal controls the tension on the drive belt and was used to stop the spindle when taking measurements. The same action could be done with the clutch, but the Pedal is a bit quicker and easier. Also, I could not tell from your first photograph (its a bit dark) if the original Interlock system is still in place. If it has been removed or changed and you want to restore it, I have the original schematic in the files.

Hendeyman
Ok I got you. I understand now what you are talking about. I sent you an email about information on the lathe. Thanks. .

johnoder

Diamond
Here are some maybe helpful scans showing reverse lever on apron and the "drawing" that names the various shafts - even though neither lathe is EBM / ECM

Attachments

• Reverse Lever.jpg
    Reverse Lever.jpg
    325.7 KB · Views: 6
  • Shafts Named.jpg
    Shafts Named.jpg
    343.1 KB · Views: 6

Doozer

Titanium
For a minute, I was thinking that you were saying
this lathe came pedal powered at one time.
I was thinking, how can such a large lathe be pedal
powered? I had to read the post a few times to see
it was a clutch pedal you were referring to.

-D