What's new
What's new

Hey Guys, Beginner Question

Matthewkral

Plastic
Hey guys, got an easy one for ya. I haven't been at this too long. If I am plunging or interpolating down with an end mill, can I cut past the flute length given that the shank is the same OD as the cutting size?

for example, if I am using a 3/8 end mill with .500" flute length, can I plunge .625"? or do I need to relieve the shank on a grinder? Just not sure if it would rub or be any complications if there was any run out. Thank you!

You should delete this thread and start another

Can I interpolate deeper than the flute length?..might be a better title.

*Nobody should answer such a poor thread Title.

The/A proper title allows a search on a subject.

You should delete this thread and start another

Can I interpolate deeper than the flute length?..might be a better title.

*Nobody should answer such a poor thread Title.

The/A proper title allows a search on a subject.

I'm new here. Take 20% off.

I'm new here. Take 20% off.

He's only telling you this because a title like you've posted could be locked. You've already gotten good responses, but it is quite possible that the thread will be locked because of this rule:

Topic titles need to inform what your topic is actually about

Stick around and ask more questions; we're glad to answer them. Welcome to the forum.

Edit: doug beat me to it.

2nd edit: I often take endmills and relieve the shank by sticking them in a cordless drill and using it as a whirlyjig/spindex and hold the shank against a wheel on a pedestal grinder. quicker than doing it on a surface grinder, much better than "doing it by hand"

Just a few thou per side is all you should need.

He's only telling you this because a title like you've posted could be locked. You've already gotten good responses, but it is quite possible that the thread will be locked because of this rule:

Topic titles need to inform what your topic is actually about

Stick around and ask more questions; we're glad to answer them. Welcome to the forum.

Edit: doug beat me to it.

2nd edit: I often take endmills and relieve the shank by sticking them in a cordless drill and using it as a whirlyjig/spindex and hold the shank against a wheel on a pedestal grinder. quicker than doing it on a surface grinder, much better than "doing it by hand"

Just a few thou per side is all you should need.

Appreciate the feedback Dan. Have a great day!

Thank you Doug. Good to know. Better ways to tell someone new they aren't using the forum properly.

Nah. That response to you was actually pretty nice. He's right too; you're not the only one wondering the answer to your question, and if it is titled correctly, someone else would be able to find it easily.

Not even mildly rude. Maybe blunt, but not mean, and you'll get used to that.

Some of us will call you stupid while cursing at you!

I don't think it is rude to ask the op to delete and post with a proper title..

*This is a good subject and all the answers are just hens chatter because nobody will be able to find in the future.

It would have taken the op a few minutes to delete or change the title.

OT: [He's only telling you this because a title like you've posted could be locked.]
and because it is wasted information if nobody can search it in the future.

Back