What's new
What's new

High Pressure Coolant and tool changes

KeenVirtual

Plastic
Just a noob here wondering what the engineers are doing with the okk vmr76. I do production machining and there is a long wait (13+ seconds) every time the coolant has to shut off and then the tool change. The coolant lines blow out like 3 times and on the third/final time, the mist tends to hit the toolholder as it is changing tools. Is it bad if coolant gets on toolholders and into spindles? Is there a way to speed up the shutoff of the high-pressure coolant system? Is it possible to drop the next tool down ahead of time, so it is ready to change over faster? Would that require a dual-core processor?

DouglasJRizzo

Titanium
Would that require a dual-core processor?

There's nothing remotely "PC" about the control on that OKK. :D

With that said, it's purging the majority of coolant out of the spindle before an ATC cycle. You "could" make changes but I believe it would take a ladder modification to do it.

Booze Daily

Titanium
Where in the code do you shut off the coolant? or do you just let the machine do it at toolchange?
Do you pre-stage the next tool or just let the carousel find the next tool at tool change?

GENERALDISARRAY

Hot Rolled
It is strange how some MTBs go through such effort to suck or blow the cts system out and others put zero effort into this endeavor.

MaxPrairie

Hot Rolled
I had a machine that the holders would pop if coolant got on the taper but I fixed it by installing a dual-core processor.