What's new
What's new

High temp adhesive for plastic

WizardOfBoz

Diamond
Ok, not an industrial question, but...

My wife dropped the lid to our instant pot. The lid has a handle on top, and two ears on the side, all cast in a phenolic (matte finish though) plastic. One of the ears got cracked. not completely separated, but cracked and week. It's an area with a very short screw going into the ear from the inside of the pot.

My plan is to drlll out a through-hole for the screw, adding a flat-head countersunk nut to the outside and using a bolt and not a screw from the inside. In addition, I want to glue the plastic where it cracked.

My go-to adhesive solution is West Systems G/Flex 650. However, it lists a heat deflection temperature of 127°F. The description says that it can routinely handle temps up to 200°F.

Is that enough high temperature performance? Is there a better high temp resistant adhesive?

JB Weld is a very good answer, esoteric or not. The regular, standard, original version can happily withstand 400F. I know it does; I have tried it. Can't speak to the other new, improved (?) varieties of JB though.

I just grabbed the instapot and took a look.

In conjunction with the adhesive, I wonder if you could get a longer screw. One that'd run all the way through it to help pull it back together. For what it's worth, I don't think the plastic lugs are under a lot of stress. Most of the pressure is put on the inner stainless steel lid.
5d5b54df0f76ea28c550e8d5a379fe70.jpg

Sent via smoke signals using Tapatalk

I just grabbed the instapot and took a look.

In conjunction with the adhesive, I wonder if you could get a longer screw. One that'd run all the way through it to help pull it back together. For what it's worth, I don't think the plastic lugs are under a lot of stress. Most of the pressure is put on the inner stainless steel lid.

Yeah, this is a good idea. The screw in your pic is only about 3/4 inch long. Thx!

My wife’s plastic handle broke off her crock pot, same type of plastic as what you are dealing with.
It set on the bench for a month, trying to figure out the best way to fix it,
Figured it out threw the sob in the trash and told her to go buy a new one

My wife’s plastic handle broke off her crock pot, same type of plastic as what you are dealing with.
It set on the bench for a month, trying to figure out the best way to fix it,
Figured it out threw the sob in the trash and told her to go buy a new one

Why would you purchase the same model ? The handle is still gonna fall off....

Back