What's new
What's new

Hiring an Experienced Manual Machinist up to $37.75/hr. + OT + vacations + benefits

WMW@PDX

Plastic
Our company is looking for a full-time experienced manual machinist to work in our Portland, Oregon location. Most of our employees have been with our company for more than 10 years and nobody has been laid off since the company was started. From our cleanup crew, technicians, engineering, and management, everyone does their job well and is easy to work with.

We offer one of the best compensation packages in the industry. Here are the benefits for the Manual Machinist, Swing Shift position:

• Wage up to $37.75 depending on experience.
  • Premium swing shift differential.
  • COLA (Cost-Of-Living-Adjustment) contribution annually.
  • Premium medical, dental, and vision insurance for you and your dependents.
  • Life, long-term, and short-term disability insurance.
  • Education reimbursement.
  • 5% 401K matching plan.
  • Yearly bonus plan.
  • Paid holidays and vacations.
  • Overtime-pay available: for both time and a half and double time
  • Signing bonus.
  • Retention bonus.
  • Employee-recognition events.
  • Company-provided overalls refreshed weekly.
  • Calibration of personal measuring instruments.
  • Reimbursements for safety boots and safety glasses.
  • All PPE provided.
  • Climate-controlled, clean, and safe working environment.
  • Consistent workload availability.
If you meet these qualifications, please submit your resume to [email protected]. Visit our website: Equipment Service, Repair & Manufacturing | Western Machine Works

• 5+ years of experience running large, manual machine tools.
  • Ability to independently operate lathes, mills, drill presses, and other manual shop equipment.
  • Large swing (36 inches dia.+) lathe experience a benefit.
  • Knowledge of machining procedures for mild steel, alloy steel, stainless steel, cast iron, and bronze.
  • Knowledge of precision machining procedures and ability to hold .001 tolerances or less.
  • Strong communication skills.
  • Ability to work off of prints and/or written/verbal instructions.
  • Swing shift schedule.

Some may decline this post because of the bad rap of Portland, but not everything you see or hear in the news tells the full story. There are still many places and neighborhoods in and around the Portland area that are good places to live in. Many of our employees live in adjacent cities, for example, Vancouver, WA. That's 24 minutes from our shop. By living in Vancouver, WA, you don't pay income tax and enjoy a great quality of life with plenty of outdoor activities. Many of our employees pursue their different hobbies like crabbing, clamming, fishing, hunting, racing, traveling, etc.

Thank you,
WMW

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like a good job that I could handle..but I'm retired.

RE:[ Education reimbursement.] Just applying/getting the sweeper job in a great shop can lead to a good future.

different hobbies like crabbing, clamming, fishing, hunting, racing, traveling, and likely a little gold prospecting, etc.

Thank you for the comment. Please feel free to forward to friends or peers who may fit the job description.

5+ years of experience running large, manual machine tools.

A very nice job for a guy with only 5 years.

Big stuff runs just as easy as small stuff, so if you're a top guy on manuals you might show your cards.

5+ years of experience running large, manual machine tools.

A very nice job for a guy with only 5 years.

Big stuff runs just as easy as small stuff, so if you're a top guy on manuals you might show your cards.

Except when you have a part come loose (out of the chuck/off the table) or you scrap a part, then size does matter.

There are some nuances to larger work due to the much higher forces involved. Workholding for instance, needs to be much more secure. It's also a lot easier to spring the parts when clamping or pushing since they're a lot longer and at length materials are much more prone to flexing and movement when material is removed. Having spent a fair amount of time in both spectra I wouldn't say big stuff in general runs as easily as small stuff. And yeah, scrap is generally a HELL of a lot more expensive. They each have their seeming vagaries.

Good luck with your search OP.

Sounds great! Is the cost of living similar to other large cities on the West Coast? Is there responsibly priced housing in the suburbs? How is the traffic? In some states drive 10-15 miles and you clear that big city congestion.
I think I was in Oregon all of once, toured some huge caverns and went to Crater Lake.

Sounds great! Is the cost of living similar to other large cities on the West Coast? Is there responsibly priced housing in the suburbs? How is the traffic? In some states drive 10-15 miles and you clear that big city congestion.
I think I was in Oregon all of once, toured some huge caverns and went to Crater Lake.

Cost of living in LA and Seattle would be much higher than in Portland. I researched it on this website: https://www.bestplaces.net/cost-of-living/portland-or/los-angeles-ca/80000
You can see that LA is about 64% more expensive in housing cost, and overall 33.1% more expensive in cost of living.
With regards to Seattle, it is about 26.7 higher in cost of living and 70.2% higher in housing cost.

Hi everyone, the job is now posted on Indeed and qualified applicants can use the "Apply Now" button to apply directly from the Indeed job page.

We'll be posting 2 additional jobs soon.

Thank you.

Back