What's new
What's new

Hiring new workers and pay scale of current workers, what options are there?

if your application says you are anything other than male or female I would not hire you.

but nowadays one might get sued for discrimination for not hiring the person who lists Itobitta as their sex.

Re: I have no idea what that is, so we better hire him / hew / whatever.

There are many abnormal people who are completely pleasant to be around, and you may never know.

But there is always a group of people who are incredibly loud and demanding, and desire to be a victim and make it their personality.

If you can distinguish between the two you may find some great workers.

As this is the "Shop Management and Owner Issues" forum interesting to see the views of those who have never done it.
Feedback is good.
As a shop owner one should stay on top of what the competition pays and who and how they suck good employees away from you.
There will always be those those that chase wages and live a bit with a new poopy job with no upside. Then they go on to the next as that one stalls.
I can not blame them at all. I live off my paycheck.
Bob

We had a deadbeat guy who got fired, or quit.. then a few years after making the rounds came back and was a highly talented guy.

Shop owners often know other shop owners..and when a guy comes knocking the last job place might be called.
Mostly/often shop owners are honest with each other and give information.

I know this action is/may be against the law but that is life.

I handle it like the NFL does.

You get 85% of your market for the first 6-months. After 6-months you get somewhere from 80% - 120% of your market value relative to your performance.

That extra 20% is a variable based on your ability to impact my business both positive and negative. At the end of the year, we look at your W-2 and mutually decide if it was fair based on your performance. If you stunk it up and cost me money or customers; then for the first 6-months of year 2, you're back down at the 85% mark until you unf**k yourself.

This is your opportunity to adjust either my expectations or your performance.

I usually know within 6 months whether a.) you're just a slacker or b.) you're one of those "fake it til you make it" types.

I'll take more of the latter and less of the former. At least #2 has the initiative and perhaps the God given talent to make a passable apprentice until they make enough mistakes
to be considered "experienced".

I don't want anyone around longer than a couple of years. You either need to go work for a client, or you need to expand your horizons elsewhere. Unless you're a volume shop that's integrated into a high-run-rate supply chain for a bigger entity, it generally doesn't justify keeping tenured staff on.

Performance almost never peaks beyond a couple of years, barring major technological / process innovations. (Moore's Law)

Let's see for my experience (30+years)I was offered: this year
$18.50 hrly + $750 monthly insurance OP
$21.00 hrly + $1500 monthly insurance OP
$24.00 hrly + $300 monthly insurance OP...catch was toxic work environment where I babysat
$23.50 hrly, decent insurance starting day one. Bad fit for me running garbage lathe in super dirty shop

Took a S&R job at a medical company. Benefits are ok. $21 an hour. 108 hours PTO. Learning many things. Change of pace.
If it doesn't work out...there are other jobs.

Those wages are depressing.

I have people that have been with me 42 years, another at 37 years. 14 years etc. I don't really buy the "you must change jobs every 5 years" why in the world would you do that, sure if your underpaid or don't like your current job I can see that. Then yes go find your dream job, life's to dam short to be in a underpaid miserable job that you don't like. Hay it's a big world out there. Odd as it may sound the people here actually like there jobs. There's a very apparent pride in doing a good job, treating equipment as it there own, always going the extra mile. Why, because I treat everyone as I would want to be treated myself. And I pay like I would want to be paid. I was told many years ago that management and employees should not have a social life, that's probably true in most cases., but here I been to backyard party's ,birthdays, weddings, etc. I know everyone's family names, my wife buys gifts for there kids on there birthdays. I know this would not work for everyone, I get that. I guess I have just ended up with real good people in my life and business.

I started with cleaning the Jon and bailing the Blanchard's, then grinding single points on the carbide grinder for $1.25 as the new green guy and quickly wet up to millwork and surface grinding few-up specials when the big shops were paying about $3.30 or so back in the 60s.

I know of a shop that makes high-class machines that go all over the world and is likely paying about 20 or 25 bucks per hour.

My buddy Donny applied there a few years ago and was told "We have the best machinists in the world and we pay $18.00 an hour."

I have people that have been with me 42 years, another at 37 years. 14 years etc. I don't really buy the "you must change jobs every 5 years" why in the world would you do that, sure if your underpaid or don't like your current job I can see that.

You probably treat your people well and pay them what it would cost to replace them if they left, most employers don't. Right before I struck out on my own over 25 years ago I got a guy a $5 an hour raise. The owner who was a great salesman who did not have an aptitude to learn about machining was often a victim of shop politics as
guys took advantage of that. There was a guy named Al who started working there at 18 and was now 25.
He was a hard worker and soaked up knowledge like a sponge. He didn't play politics, never tooted his own horn, and stayed away from the owner. In that shop he became a victim, the political players took credit for all of his successes and blamed Al for their screw ups.

One day Al comes to me and asks if I could give him leads on places to apply for jobs as he knew I had been around and knew people. I thought he was happy as he never led on that he wasn't and always worked his ass off and was not afraid of the tough jobs. When I found out what he was being paid I understood. The owner thought I was nuts when I said he should give him a $5 an hour raise. I had to set the record straight, he gave the guy the $5, but refused to punish those that took credit for his work.

I think most women who work those jobs know exactly how to profit from men acting like they're 12. I spent 6 years with a woman who has been a bartender or bar manager since she was 21. She's 47 now and still takes home around $4000 a month working 8 days a month.

A few decades ago there was a small local bar within walking distance, one of the female bartenders would flash the customers. She sometimes would order pizza delivery and tell the driver if male "Here is your tip and pull up her shirt with nothing on underneath." Every once in a while she would pull her skirt down, she did have underwear but it was see through. It strangely was hard to get a seat at the bar in that place when she was working. She said it was a lot easier work than stripping and she made near as much. I have a feeling the owner of that bar made a lot of donations to the local police fund as every time I stopped in for a couple drinks over quite a few years she kept doing that. I am pretty sure that must break some rule as it was a full service bar, not a strip club.

I started with cleaning the Jon and bailing the Blanchard's, then grinding single points on the carbide grinder for $1.25 as the new green guy and quickly wet up to millwork and surface grinding few-up specials when the big shops were paying about $3.30 or so back in the 60s.

The place I first learned at had their own apprenticeship program, that really had quick progressions. This was about 45 years ago and I was grinding tools a week in, little carbide half round drills, finishing small half round reamers, under a microscope, etc, etc. They basically were looking for top notch people and quickly fired trainees that did not progress quickly. Great place to learn if you learned quickly, but the pay sucked to say the least.
In my own small world as a job hopper before striking out on my own, the places willing to train did not pay good wages for top men.

I started with cleaning the Jon and bailing the Blanchard's,
All should go diving deep in the carbide grinding Blanchard and cleaning it all like new everywhere inside. Trust me as a boss..... you missed a spot, fix that it is not right.
Then cleaning the Jon will seem easy.
Very sucky work, It sorts out people and attitudes or the "I am too good for this".
Bob

All positions at the moment from general labor, machinist, welder, operators ect. Pay isn't union wages but for the work I consider it fair pay.

I personally careless what others make I only cared about what I wanted in the interview. I have no skin in this game and prefer to stay out of out but got dragged into it so I gave them my thoughts and hopefully that will be it.

I would say bringing up the wages to match the new hires to be the best plan but I'm not on the other side of it at this company. Heck for all I know that is the worst idea to make. That's why I'm asking to those that have this choice to make with pulling in new people to get the parts out or ones that have seen it happen for good or bad.

Thanks for taking the time those that have responded.
All I know is if I am not allowed too discuss my wages I wont work there and if someone is doing the same job as me making more I m out the door the second that happens. Last shop that happened at i found out and spent the rest of my afternoon calling on new jobs on old companies time. Its rotten and a race too the bottom and a shit way to run a business

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

The Whiner....

-----------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox
Call me what you want i really could care less as it seems lots dont like you round here anyways. Point being hiring someone fresh with no experience for more than someone who has been there 5 years is rotten.

It would be difficult for me to show the new guy the ropes if he was making bucks more than my pay rate.

If a shop pulled crap like that I would consider taking a walk.

If it was a no-brainer shop/job and the owner/boss could give all needed instructions then I would consider improving my skills.

Charley, can you help me with this? Sure if you pay me the difference in pay that you make more.

All I know is if I am not allowed too discuss my wages I wont work there and if someone is doing the same job as me making more I m out the door the second that happens. Last shop that happened at i found out and spent the rest of my afternoon calling on new jobs on old companies time. Its rotten and a race too the bottom and a shit way to run a business

You didn't ask to get your pay raised to what the other guy made? Whenever I found out some clod was making more than me that is what I did.

It can be weird.
Had GMI students that had a higher pay. Part of this was to pay for school and the same extra money for tuition offered to all on the floor if they wanted to go pursue a degree.
Over a of paycheck as it comes in I will pay for your school if you can maintain a decent GPA. I want all that haved worked for me to climb higher.
One GMI student decides to drop out. What to do? Dropped his hourly pay three plus dollars per hour.
Bob

Back