What's new
What's new

Hiring new workers and pay scale of current workers, what options are there?

Found out my place was doing this a few weeks ago.

A recruiter contacted me about a job that payed about 10% more than I was making, when they gave me the name I told them I already worked there. The company has recently been bought out and changed the name, while my resume still had the company's old name listed.

I'm fine with it though. I have an offer from a competitor that's more than both figures, and I'm expecting an offer from another competitor next week. It's just business.

Being fired for discussing payrates is a bit harsh, as is a standard salary for a job title.
A past employer was consistent if you complained about Fred being paid more -"salaries are confidential - sorry." A machinist with 5 years service should get more than the gent with only one year.

Being fired for discussing payrates is a bit harsh, as is a standard salary for a job title.
A past employer was consistent if you complained about Fred being paid more -"salaries are confidential - sorry." A machinist with 5 years service should get more than the gent with only one year.

That isn't always true, there are people that stayed in the trade that probably shouldn't. Had a guy at one place I worked that never progressed past a low end operator in 25 years. There were plenty of guys that passed him in less than a year.

My son went to a high-class mechanic school UTI, and now makes way over $100k a year.
Your New Career Path Starts at Universal Technical Institute

This above statement should be take with a HUUUUUUUUUUge grain of salt. Only a top tier mechanic that built engines before he went to that shit school, then went to one of the OEM programs afterwards(BMW, VW, ETC) would even hope to make that much and only in a city working for Mercedes or something. That school is a for profit school on the likes of Phoenix University. I have multiple accounts from more than one location of how crap it is. Same texts books as the local tech schools for way more $$$.

It is a darn shame that tool shops have gotten away with such low wages. Government-regulated wages would be no better because the government likely thinks any dirty hands and non-college jobs should get low pay. Good that the better shops pay 25 to 45 per and understand that skill and reliability is the deciding factor.

Another darn shame is that shop jobs compete with China workers, and USA hamburger flippers do not.

Except this is 100% illegal
Not so fast:

In a nutshell, the NLRA protects most employees’ right to discuss their salary, and President Obama’s executive order applied that same right to federal employees and contractors.

However, there are a few important exceptions to the rule that you should know about. If you have access to company wage and payroll information, you cannot share employee pay information with others unless your employer or an investigative agency has directed you to share that information. Basically, you do not have a right to reveal someone else’s salary with others.

My pay rate is MY business. NOT YOURS.
If I find out someone is blabbing about my pay to others, guess what I'm doing?

It is a darn shame that tool shops have gotten away with such low wages. Government-regulated wages would be no better because the government likely thinks any dirty hands and non-college jobs should get low pay. Good that the better shops pay 25 to 45 per and understand that skill and reliability is the deciding factor.

Another darn shame is that shop jobs compete with China workers, and USA hamburger flippers do not.
They get away with it or do they need to do that otherwise they can not make a descent living? It could be either or other considerations too. I noticed that employers often have in the past pretty much kept hourly wages lower out of a herd mentality. I noticed too that employees who would do things that the boss like extra from work got paid more even if they were not very good at their trade. This kind of thing happens a lot in the trade.

Understanding personal finance is important.
On the high school level it has been very clear that children are not taught much in any depth about being on their own financially or even how finances could be handled as a guide in their own family unit Before they leave the nest.

It is the case that anyone going on their own will count insurance, auto,food, shelter, utilities and so on and understand how much must be made to support themselves and can quite quickly ascertain whether a trade or a job pays the bill. Instead of parents subsidizing these paths which never will pay by believing it will ever allow anything but jr living with them for years everyone should count the costs.
Jr. Can have a expensive car and go to the fast car bar every week and just have fun some for decades! There is less motivation to get out on their own. Fact is parents want to help and love their children. It is just the way things shuffle down it seems.

Identifying a path that is not good is the first step it involves setting a budget and goals. Finances should be a priority for children in the schools. They even will teach math well for some students and so apply that to finances so any young person understands the score and at least they can see just where they stand.

With inflation like in the past this has pressured everyone to seek higher wages to pay for everything. In a way it is healthy even though many still fall behind. At any rate financial schooling will help either way.
One can not blame a parent much for providing for their child if they can yet that comes with a responsibility that the parents understand that children need their own lives because parents will not be there forever.
The kind of input these young people get in their financial lives are from people using the information to sell these young people something and so the offer of a credit card or time share or even a expensive vehicle is slanted toward justifying the purchase.

jr can afford things if they are still living at home. There are a lot of young people who do not marry nor have the family and children. The country does not need the children as we can just let in immigrants fully grown why have them?

The government really does not favor families or even marriages.

rationale of bosses is very simple .....if you work with a $1500 set of tools ,you can be self employed,and walk out on me .....if you work with a $200k machine,chances of self employment are remote,so I can pay you peanuts ,or at least the same peanuts on offer elsewhere.

rationale of bosses is very simple .....if you work with a $1500 set of tools ,you can be self employed,and walk out on me .....if you work with a $200k machine,chances of self employment are remote,so I can pay you peanuts ,or at least the same peanuts on offer elsewhere.
Bought a machine; self employed.

People seem to think that people want more money because they can't manage the money they have.

But it seems to me like negotiating the highest salary you can is a pretty damn good strategy.

I also think people view jobs as a labor market more than careers now. People aren't looking to settle down some place for their whole life. They want to sell their labor until they find a better buyer. The exchange is strictly money for time; they owe you nothing else outside of that transaction.

Not so fast:

In a nutshell, the NLRA protects most employees’ right to discuss their salary, and President Obama’s executive order applied that same right to federal employees and contractors.

However, there are a few important exceptions to the rule that you should know about. If you have access to company wage and payroll information, you cannot share employee pay information with others unless your employer or an investigative agency has directed you to share that information. Basically, you do not have a right to reveal someone else’s salary with others.

Yes, but wasn't the discussion about revealing your own salary/pay?

Reactions: Ox
Yes, but wasn't the discussion about revealing your own salary/pay?
Well kind of, I guess.

I thought we were discussing the pro and cons of ANY discussion regarding wages in a job shop.

If we hire a dude that is a certified Nuclear welder for a specific project and they hire him at the going rate (I.E. probably more than the owner makes) I feel that should be between the owner and the welder.

I simply think it's a bad idea to start down that rabbit hole.

That's just me though.

Back in the "bad old days" ,a factory owner would be blackballed at his clubs for stepping out of line with higher pay,and on the other side ,Union officials became legends thru strikes and walkouts ,and come union election time ,they had the "runs on the board " to get re elected to their union positions.

The bad old days are long gone.

Right now we need toolmakers who can think for themselves.

As for the union thingy, that doesn't effect us.

The last time I was offered a union position, they wanted to pay me $5.00 LESS than I was making at my (then) current job.

Unions are a non sequitur here.

Not so fast:

Great, I never once referenced telling people what others were making. The scenario was if 2 people discuss their own wages, he would fire them.

Only one person said it.

People leave managers, not jobs.

If your manager fails to keep your rate of pay competitive, you will leave. You may not realize you are upset with your uncompetitive rate of pay until you learn just how uncompetitive your rate of pay is, but once you do, it'll eat at you and you'll leave, because your manager failed to look out for you.

A good manager will look out for the companies interests by looking out for the interests of their employees.

Back