What's new
What's new

Hiring new workers and pay scale of current workers, what options are there?

Another oldie...."to put a dollar in your pocket will cost me two out of mine"..............another boss favourite...."there are six guys sleeping in their cars outside the gate,waiting for your job".....and "sure,take some time off,as long as you like."

Another oldie...."to put a dollar in your pocket will cost me two out of mine"..............another boss favourite...."there are six guys sleeping in their cars outside the gate,waiting for your job".....and "sure,take some time off,as long as you like."
And people wonder why they can't hire and retain talented employees.

It's been a while since I've had a "Job", but the last few places I worked had a policy. If you discuss your pay with anyone, you're fired.

So if Bill comes up bitching about why Joe makes more than him, both Joe and Bill are gone.
I'm sure this isn't the same in every state, but in Oregon this would be illegal, you can't legally prevent employees from discussing their wages.

From perusing some social media there is a HUGE corporate disconnect between what has to be offered to recruits in order to recruit them, and what the compensation of existing employees is. The corp HR type folks know it exists, and some will flat out admit that their budget does not support paying existing employees what they have to offer a new hire to start. It used to be there were other benefits to being a long term employee, more PTO for example. But another part of the pressure to recruit is new hires getting at LEAST 2 weeks PTO to start and medical benefits day one.

The only thing that will actually apply pressure on the corp mindset is for longer term employees to just move to another job, often right next door and get a 25% or better pay increase. But it will take time once the company is gutted of long term reliable talented employees for that to be felt in the bottom line where it gets attention. Everybody at the corp level seems to know that the currently the only way to get market rate compensation is to go somewhere else.

I say corp but the same thing happens in shops of all sizes...it was going on when I started working in the early 80's...I'm sure it went on long before that.

My employer has around 1100 hourly, we needed (100) employees January 2021, they hired (500) people over the year, January 2022 they still needed (100) employees.

Bill

Back in the day,a boss who stepped out of line and offered employees a raise not approved by the Businessmens Association was blackballed (not racist) ...and as most bosses are still in golf clubs and other rich mens groups,the same principle will surely still be followed.

Back in the day,a boss who stepped out of line and offered employees a raise not approved by the Businessmens Association was blackballed (not racist) ...and as most bosses are still in golf clubs and other rich mens groups,the same principle will surely still be followed.
This is how up and comers who aren’t yet part of the club gain an edge over old money.

I just want to add something because as an employee who likes to better himself I have wished that employers would actually do this.

Have some kind of pay scale in your head as an employer. If an employee asks for a certain hourly rate know what is an expected level of competence for that rate. Let your employees know what is expected of them for them to earn the higher rates.

If you don’t do that employees are flying blind wanting to work their way up the pay scale but don’t know what they may need to improve on to get there.

Last edited:

Back