What's new
What's new

Hiring outside the family..............

wrustle

Titanium
3 production machines.... but someone still has to saw material to feed those 3 machines, program for 3 machines, prepare shipping materials for 3 machines, do quality control and inspection, packaging, etc. All that mess basically eats 1 persons time. That doesn't include sales, quoting, invoicing, ordering material and supplies, inventory tracking, bookkeeping, etc.

Tony understands it.........completely! ;)

We don't just machine parts. All our parts are supplied complete to print.

Anodizing (clear, colored, or hard), black oxide, heat treating, silk screening, passivate, silver and gold or nickel plating and polishing. Whether it be a commercial or military application, we provide components made complete.

There are more parts that we do now that require outside services than ones that are simply machined and shipped. The hours consumed in just one week on those items alone can be significant, believe me.

We also do many assemblies, and typically have blanket orders throughout the course of the year for many of the varied products we ship as a completed unit.

1072480_695026167184714_1873544661_o_zpsakqjirgo.jpg

20151027_143924_zpsr2genmku.jpg

20151027_143856_zpsrg3mv9kb.jpg

20150902_141504_zpstgn65yuv.jpg

20150430_110358_zpspck7djyz.jpg

20150430_110338_zpspvelzxys.jpg

Programming and quoting also take up a good amount of my time every week. As Tony mentioned, keeping three machines humming along can be a chore from the programming side. Thankfully we do a large amount of repeat production work, so there's almost always something ready to go in a machine rather than have it sit idle waiting for me.

Another big time saver in the shop is my Haas ST20 lathe. It is almost always running unattended. When doing bar work, I will go out of my way to program it to run with nearly as little operator assistance as possible. Regardless of qty, (within reason of course), it's dropping parts in the catcher, and starting on the next one before you even realize it just made another. Inevitably, someone out in the shop will shout out, "the lathe stopped", and either the next one walking by will load another bar, or I will venture out from office and do it.

I used to have it beep at M30 when the bar was finished..............but everyone, and I do mean EVERYONE.......hates the noise!! Me especially.....therefore, we wait for the blinking light!

My daughter I had to let go last May. Things slowed enough to the point where my wife and I figured we could handle things with just three of us in the shop, and besides that......my daughter was just too damn comfortable working in the shop rather than working on her pursuing the career she went to college for......sooooo......it was sort of a gentle push out the door, and get going on what you had for a goal in life instead of working in a shop.

Since that time, she has gone back to school part time working on her masters degree for teaching, and last fall she was hired by one of the school systems a few towns over as a paralegal. A win, win for her!

Best Regards,
Russ

Ox

Diamond
My daughter I had to let go last May. Things slowed enough to the point where my wife and I figured we could handle things with just three of us in the shop, and besides that......my daughter was just too damn comfortable working in the shop rather than working on her pursuing the career she went to college for......sooooo......it was sort of a gentle push out the door, and get going on what you had for a goal in life instead of working in a shop.

Since that time, she has gone back to school part time working on her masters degree for teaching, and last fall she was hired by one of the school systems a few towns over as a paralegal. A win, win for her!

Best Regards,
Russ

Good deal...

----------------------------

Paul Kantner #4
Ox

spock

Stainless
Good luck with the hire! Myself, I have just about given up the idea completely for now. I sometimes have a welder come in and help out when I need him, but day to day I am by myself. I found out a couple years ago, I am not cut out to manage people. Stresses me too much. I can manage my 7 CNCs just fine. By being careful about the kind of work I go after, I can keep my spindle hours up pretty good for a one man band. Last year was my best, I processed over 150K of steel. One stretch last summer, I averaged 40 spindle hours a day for 6 weeks. Yes, my back is still tired. I have a 10K square feet shop, which looks silly for one guy but that does give me room to set things up so that I do not waste any steps keeping most things running. Some day I might post some pics. I like my solitude.

dstryr

Diamond
You are spoiled now lol

I have 12 spindles 6 employees on day and 2 on swing shift...

OX knows where I'm coming from

wrustle

Titanium
You are spoiled now lol

I have 12 spindles 6 employees on day and 2 on swing shift...

Well, certainly no where near the level you are at, that's a lot of management right there!! Good for you and all your ambition!

I will say though......I am loving the fact that I can once again come in late, leave early, take half days on Friday, go on vacation for a WHOLE WEEK......and come back to the shop and there's finished parts either stacked up waiting to ship, or invoices for parts that have shipped waiting on my desk to be mailed out. There's a lot to be said for that.

Do I have the ambition to grow larger? That I can't tell you right at this time. For now though, I am simply enjoying my new freedom.

I do own the vacant lot of land next to my building so I guess anything is possible.......and to be completely honest.........3 years ago, I never imagined I would be working out of my own building, with new Cnc machines and three other employees besides myself............

................so yeah..........anything is possible...........as long as you have the drive to make it happen!

Best Regards,
Russ

Check us out on Facebook and give us a "Like"
Crosby Machine Company, Inc.

wrustle

Titanium
Well, it's been 1 month now, and the "new" guy is working out great!

MUCH better than I had hoped for............Outstanding work ethic.

My biggest challenge now is trying to stay ahead of them out in the shop with programming in the office.

There's a lot to be said for hiring someone with a lot of experience, and this gentlemen is exceeding every expectation I had.

It's a pleasure to hear him out in the shop, either whistling some tune, or singing some stupid song to get everyone smiling........though my wife did pull me aside a week or so ago and asked me to go ask him to quiet it down out there, he was driving her nuts.............HOWEVER..........it was her first week back from the hospital after having surgery though so she was still hurting and just a tiny bit annoyed with everything in general......if you know what I mean.

I smiled nicely and said, "Look, he's happy. He's making good parts. Let him sing his ass off"!..........Now put some earplugs in and finish the paperwork and go home for the afternoon so you'll feel better tomorrow. ;)

It worked.........Life was good..........and Mike is still singing.......and making good parts!

Later,
Russ

wrustle

Titanium
Abba, Steppenwolf, or Culture Club?

I'm good with 2 out of the 3...

-------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

The other day was Christmas carols believe it or not.

It was actually pretty comical when he puts his own twist on the lyrics, but being a veteran (ex Navy Seal) he's got some pretty damn twisted versions of those songs.........................Ummmmmm........after the Mrs. has left the building of course!!! :D

They aren't exactly "Approved for all audiences"!!

Atomkinder

Titanium
The other day was Christmas carols believe it or not.

It was actually pretty comical when he puts his own twist on the lyrics, but being a veteran (ex Navy Seal) he's got some pretty damn twisted versions of those songs.........................Ummmmmm........after the Mrs. has left the building of course!!! :D

They aren't exactly "Approved for all audiences"!!

Rudolph's what now? :stirthepot:

There's a lot to be said for hiring someone with a lot of experience, and this gentlemen is exceeding every expectation I had.

Later,
Russ

I don't think anyone could disagree with that. The only reason I can think of for hiring someone with little or no experience would be to pay as little as possible.

Anyway, sounds like the kinda guy all shops should have at least one of.

Just curious but do you praise the others as much or as often as the "newbie"? :cheers: in SLOTS

Gentlemen? Can't resist this but get your wife to help you with your English :)

6061Mike

Hot Rolled
Well, it's been 1 month now, and the "new" guy is working out great!

MUCH better than I had hoped for............Outstanding work ethic.

My biggest challenge now is trying to stay ahead of them out in the shop with programming in the office.

It's a pleasure to hear him out in the shop, either whistling some tune, or singing some stupid song to get everyone smiling........though my wife did pull me aside a week or so ago and asked me to go ask him to quiet it down out there, he was driving her nuts.............HOWEVER..........it was her first week back from the hospital after having surgery though so she was still hurting and just a tiny bit annoyed with everything in general......if you know what I mean.

I smiled nicely and said, "Look, he's happy. He's making good parts. Let him sing his ass off"!..........Now put some earplugs in and finish the paperwork and go home for the afternoon so you'll feel better tomorrow. ;)

It worked.........Life was good..........and Mike is still singing.......and making good parts!

Later,
Russ

I have a question, and not to pry into your business, but just a general "let us in on *it"... Did you offer him pay according to his experience, or maybe by chance you got him at a good deal because he was inbetween jobs or similar? By no means am I questioning you per say... Just curious if you paid top dollar for this guy and now you are happy you did, or if you got a 'bargain' and maybe this relates to you being pleasantly surprised? I ask because the (maybe) obvious, we hear the complaint here all the time "there are no good machinists" and in reality it is because people don't want to pay good wages to get a good machinist. Anyways, glad he is working out for ya!

I ask because the (maybe) obvious, we hear the complaint here all the time "there are no good machinists" and in reality it is because people don't want to pay good wages to get a good machinist.

Something I always remember. "If you're lucky you get what you pay for. You rarely get more".

The very least a machinist should expect to be able to do is live a decent life on what he earns and without overtime as a necessity. If not why become a machinist?

Depending on what you are doing, sometimes its easier and quicker to train someone without experience than it is to un-train and then re-train someone
with experience.

If you have to "untrain" someone with experience then what was that experience worth?

If previous "experience" has to be untrained then I don't give much for that previous experience.

I can see the USA in a not so distant future importing everything mechanical from countries that take the machinist trade seriously.

BTW I did notice your "depending on what you are doing" but to me that means giving extra experience and not "undoing" previous experience. I'm assuming you mean "bad habits" and whose fault is that?