What's new
What's new

Hiring outside the family..............

wrustle

Titanium
For the first time since starting my business nearly 20 years ago, we have hired outside the family.

I interviewed and hired this gentlemen about two weeks ago and last week was his first full week (started 1-25-16).

For the better part of those two weeks, I have had sleepless nights, constant worry, and perhaps even a few small panic attacks!!
:nutter:

Our business has always been family owned, and family operated. It is at the point now where I need someone with considerable knowledge and leadership skills, coupled with a great work ethic to help take our shop to the next level, which in my estimation is close at hand, but not attainable with our current workforce.

I have been out on the floor a lot these past few months running machines, and spending long hours after the day is done working on sales (quoting).

I was nearing my break point for burn out, and have quite honestly never felt it before. I asked around locally for potential candidates, posted a want ad in a machinist forum, and likewise with a social media outlet.

Received a few responses, a couple of resumes, had one interview, and within a few days made my decision.

It's strange to be elated at finding someone with this mans knowledge, and at the same time fearful of letting him down,......should I not achieve the goals I have outlined in my mind...........for moving my company ahead.

Crosby Machine would like to extend a warm welcome to Mr. Mike Sears (pictured center) who has just joined our growing company on 1-25-16.

With over 30 years of manufacturing experience, a Navy veteran, and 8 years of lead man experience, Mike will be an integral part in the continued growth of our machining business with his strong work skills, and work ethics.

Welcome aboard Mike, we look forward to your experienced contributions in making our small business an ever expanding success!

20160125_152047_zpsjjyh87cx.jpg

Best Regards,
Russ

Be sure to check us out on Facebook, and give us a "Like"!

Crosby Machine Company, Inc.

Russ - congratulations on finding someone who can help you lead your company to the next level!

And glad to see that this isn't another thread that will drag us all into oblivion waiting for the next installment!!!

Similar experience here. Congratulations and pay attention to how the flow goes now. You will find yourself doing much different tasks.

Congrats on being able to find someone. I was in the same spot last year but in my case it worked out better hiring a "Quality Manager/Front Office support" to do inspection, inspection reports and some purchasing.

Good luck in 2016.

I'm not sure what you have in mind Russ, but 20 yrs ago a friend of mine started his shop as a one man band... Then added another guy, and another, now has over 100 people running 2 shifts.
Sometimes putting the right people on the right places is the best move you can do. Finding the right people is the challenge.

Hope it works out well for you.

Is he on practical machinist
What is his user name?
Poor guy

Good luck

Btw why you have different glasses?
Bc you are boss? :))

I can't argue with your success, but that seems like a lot of payroll for 3 machines. You must have a lot more up time than I do...

I can't argue with your success, but that seems like a lot of payroll for 3 machines. You must have a lot more up time than I do...

Why do you say that? 4 people for 3 machines does not sound that bad to me? The owner should not be running a machine, no offense to all the 1 man shops here. He/she should be doing quoting, sales, management, etc. That 3 leaves 3 people for 3 machines. I assume one of them (new guy the way it sounds) will be doing programming, setups, shop floor management (job routing, quality), etc. That leaves 2.5 people (at best) :D to run the 3 machines. I'm probably off base as most places expect a guy to run multiple machines, but sometimes you just can't because the cycle is too short... I know a couple jobs ago I was the shop foreman, and it was made clear to me it was a "working foreman" type of job. Man I wish I had now been so naive at the time! If I had read between the lines I would have realized the job meant a tiny pay raise with about twice the work. Seriously, I was expected to run the shop (about 6-8 people at the time) AND continue my work which had been running/programming wire edm plus manual machines and then I added a cnc mill to my workload (program.setup.operate). Here is the kicker, if I spent more than an hour a day running the shop (ie 1 hour out of my day not charged to a job) I got questioned what was taking so long?! BTW, this was a job shop, no production at the time so it was busy and jobs were always changing, which meant tons of questions about poor prints (1/4-18 thread? did they mean 1/4-20 or 5/16-18??), material ordering, tooling, etc.

3 production machines.... but someone still has to saw material to feed those 3 machines, program for 3 machines, prepare shipping materials for 3 machines, do quality control and inspection, packaging, etc. All that mess basically eats 1 persons time. That doesn't include sales, quoting, invoicing, ordering material and supplies, inventory tracking, bookkeeping, etc.

Non-family member at an all-family place? I'd be suspicious to come on board. No offense Wrustle. I hope it all works out for you all, and that business continues to grow (if that's the direction you want it to go) and you all continue to prosper! God Bless!

Congrats, just make sure he does have enough freedom to use his skills/ideas to improve things where he can. Sometimes that might mean going a different way than you have been doing something, give it a go, see how the numbers pan out before turning it down.

... aaaand where happened to the daughter?
She is way easier on the eyes than that fella's ugly mug.... :ack2: *

BTW - may need to post pics of the seester too....

* warm and welcome initiation. ;)

------------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Russ's original post is done in one? WTH? He must be sick or something................................

Congrats Russ.............................

Back