What's new
What's new

History of 5C collets and how to find them in the Hardinge online catalog

It has always seemed far more likely that the "cataract" was Niagara Falls, of the Cataract Optical Co. Though the drawings of a cataract in the later literature did not look like Niagara, more like Montour Fall, Buttermilk Falls, or the ones at Robert H Treman Park near Ithaca. (I'm not suggesting in any way that those falls had any bearing whatsoever, just that the falls in the later advertising literature were more like them)....smt

Here are some pictures to help you decide on the location of the falls in the Hardinge catalog. First, the catalog picture, then some pictures of Niagara from Prospect Point on the American side with Goat Island dividing the American Falls from the Horseshoe or Canadian Falls. This is the classic view of the falls that many millions of tourists have been admiring and photographing for many years. I have been there a few times myself, starting in 1952.

The name cataract may have been a double entendre for the Cataract Tool and Optical Co. of Buffalo, NY. Niagara Falls was just a few miles away and the optical part of their business would certainly involve cataracts in eyes. Here are some comments by a British tourist in 1831 who called the falls a cataract: http://www.cliftonhill.com/explore/our-history/early-niagara-tourists Don't miss the story there about the Burning Spring, an early extra attraction to separate a bit of cash from the tourists.

The "window" could be on Prospect Point or on the old suspension bridge shown in the 1882 birdseye view drawing of the falls. In that 1882 picture, if you enlarge it, you can see at the left side on the American bank a number of mills using water power from a canal race and dumping the water down the cliff. Those mills did not have a view of the falls, but could hear them if their own machines were not too loud. In the late 19th century, people started objecting to the mills and demanding a park to preserve the integrity of the falls. The area became the first state park in America. The mill sites are now parkland containing a "Niagara Gorge Discovery Center."

Personally, I like to look at old mills. The Niagara Escarpment is a long disruption in otherwise flat land. Rochester, NY, a ways east of Niagara, was built around a smaller falls that became surrounded by water powered mills on the top of the cliff overlooking the river gorge. I am happy to say that many of the mill buildings have been preserved and there is a nice museum to tell their story.

Larry

DSC00416.jpgNiagara Falls arial view 1882.jpgNiagara Falls from Prospect Point antique stereo.jpgNiagara Falls from Prospect Point old photo.jpgNiagara Falls from Prospect Point.jpg

Here's a later version/drawing I was referring to, that is both a bit more common in their literature, and more ambiguous.

img0.jpg

smt

Buffalo is known as the Cataract city, because of Niagara Falls.
Buffalo is known as the City of Light, because of it being the first city with electric street lamps.
Buffalo is known as the Queen city, because it is second in population to New York City.

--Doozer

Buffalo is known as the Cataract city, because of Niagara Falls.
Buffalo is known as the City of Light, because of it being the first city with electric street lamps.
Buffalo is known as the Queen city, because it is second in population to New York City.

--Doozer
I see that Buffalo has a lot of past and present businesses with Cataract or Cataract City in the name. The lathe and optical instrument company was just one of many examples.

Similarly, Fort Wayne, IN has a bunch of businesses with Summit City in the name because it was the highest elevation on the Wabash and Erie Canal.

Larry

Chicago was called theCcity of Light due to the Columbia Fair of 1893, Where thanks to George Westinghouse, the entire fair was lit at night, where in most cities there were few if any outdoor lights.

I thought this post will be of general (as opposed to Antique machines and history) interest, so I have copied it from Tooling, where I answered the following question.

I dont suppose you know what collet this would be??

Attachments

• colletsizes.jpg
    colletsizes.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 130

Back