What's new
What's new

Hog wash

Ultradog MN

Cast Iron
I'm wondering if there are some engineer types out there who could help me with a problem.
I built an automated washing house for running pigs through. The pigs go through kind of like in a car wash. There's a chain conveyor that they stand on and it pulls them through a series of sprays and brushes and gets them pretty clean and then blows them dry with warm air.
I have a building rented and the machine in place and have several contracts with local farmers for me to wash their hogs every couple of months. So far so good.
The trouble is about every 15 or 20th hog that goes through will get his foot caught in one of the chains. It doesn't hurt the hog really but it scares them and so they really start letting out a squeal. That in itself would be ok but the building I rented is right behind a dentist's office.
I guess his business is dropping off badly because when people hear the terrible squealing they think it's coming from his office and no one is going to him for dental work anymore.
At this point he's threatening to sue me if I can't get the noise level down.
Anyway, if someone here can help me keep the pigs' feet from getting caught and making all that racket I would sure apreciate it.

If you want to see something funny ask a city guy to flit a hog for castration.
I was that guy and was quickly full of Mud.
The way you do it is to calmly reach under the hog to his opposite legs and shoulder in to flip him over.

Hog wASH WITH A ZIG ZAG COURSE so no chains or devices to snag up. device to =snag up.

letting out a squeal. right behind a dentist's office...cool.

Last edited:
HOGWASH. I thought you were setting us up for a joke. Threads get locked for various reasons. I think this one might get it for not noting it is off topic and the title does not identify the question.

That said pigs can be loud when they are in distress. I do not know how the pig hunters stand it when they go in to knife a wild hog that the dogs are holding down. Never saw one of those guys use ear plugs.
For any of us machinist types to help with your problem we may need to see photos of with you got right now.

Pics or you are full of hogwash. Yes, we really need pics of the conveyor to suggest improvements. Plain flat conveyor belting comes to mind.

Every pig will be washed just before he becomes pork chops.

Do a search for car wash conveyor belt. a car wash here has a large one for interior cleaning. You park the car on it and get out. The overlaps with the treshold at he beginning and end is so tight not even a small child could get his fingers or toes in between.

“…have contracts with several local farmers for me to wash their hogs.”

Thank you for the maniacal belly-laugh.

Immaturity aside, show a photo of the hog transport contrivance. It would seem plastic covers or plates spanning the chain to deflect hooves (hoofs?) would be appropriate?

Lucky7, I did forward the link to my dentist. I guess he did not think it was funny. He is not intending to sue but will be coming after you with his dental drill!

Sorry folks.
I wrote this piece and didn't have a site or place to post it.
I know this place doesn't allow any levity so I'll try to be more serious in the future.
Honest I will.
Wink

The hogwash is a machine, so not a bad post.
My post was off-topic, the castration a hog is not a machine problem...
Unless it is What kind of tool to use.
How to cook mountain oysters is also not a machining problem.
Oh wait. I Nailed it for the hog washer...Just skip every 15 and 20th hog

Last edited:
I was operating a self service hog wash last year. It was shop related as it was less than 50 yards from the shop's back door. They say around here no photos it did not happen. The pigs did share their bath water with the coyotes. After I killed and otherwise ran the pigs off the bucks took over. The camera was forgotten and reset the date when it got full, but that photo is from this last summer when they still had the velvet.

CoyoteGroupBath 2.JPGLotsaBucksRS.jpgPigsBathing.JPG

Patent CN106342715A @ 2015

Abstract​

An automatic washing machine for a pig comprises a box body, wherein the two ends and top end of the box body are open. A sliding track is arranged on the box body, a brush rod driven by a moving motor is arranged on the sliding track, a rotary motor is arranged on the brush rod, a brush is fixed on the output shaft of the rotary motor, and the output shaft of the rotary motor stretches into the box body from the opening of the top end of the box body. The automatic washing machine for the pig has the advantages that the pig can be cleaned quickly, the temperature of the pig can be effectively reduced, the water can be prevented from accumulating in the pig house, and the breeding of mosquitoes and flies in the pig house can be reduced.

Saw some video of a mobile outfit used to dip sheep for killing off various pests.
No conveyors. Just cleated floors on the chutes, so that the mildly annoyed sheep, had no problem scrabbling along the trackway on both the in and out runs.
How is the mechanics of the 'stuck' pigs taking place? Could it be prevented with say, a guard strip of belting, overlapping each side of the conveyor? Or are they getting stuck 'in' the belting, in which a different belting should be explored. Could cleats be added, to reduce tripping and slippage?

Taking your operation mobile, would sure make the Dentist a lot happier, though it would be a different set of challenges (water supply, heat, power). Disposal of waste is also easier, as you could be utilising the same producer's own lagoons or such, on site. Water and power might be got at the producer's location too.

I'm wondering if there are some engineer types out there who could help me with a problem.
I built an automated washing house for running pigs through. The pigs go through kind of like in a car wash. There's a chain conveyor that they stand on and it pulls them through a series of sprays and brushes and gets them pretty clean and then blows them dry with warm air.
I have a building rented and the machine in place and have several contracts with local farmers for me to wash their hogs every couple of months. So far so good.
The trouble is about every 15 or 20th hog that goes through will get his foot caught in one of the chains. It doesn't hurt the hog really but it scares them and so they really start letting out a squeal. That in itself would be ok but the building I rented is right behind a dentist's office.
I guess his business is dropping off badly because when people hear the terrible squealing they think it's coming from his office and no one is going to him for dental work anymore.
At this point he's threatening to sue me if I can't get the noise level down.
Anyway, if someone here can help me keep the pigs' feet from getting caught and making all that racket I would sure apreciate it.
Well, the good news is that you aren't behind a house of ill-repute. On second thought, that might increase business....... maybe a new location?

Back