What's new
What's new

how are large custom machine foundations removed?

lowCountryCamo

Stainless
We have 3 large SNK horizontal profilers. The travel is X120" Y48" to give you a notion of the size. They are approaching the end of their life. I was just asked how we could deal with the custom foundation (5 ft deep with miles of rebar) when we replace these with a new machine. Does anyone have experience with this?

guythatbrews

Hot Rolled
Sounds very ugly.

The guy across the street poured a huge foundation for a press. Not as big as yours but big. The dummy made some sort of error and they had to tear it out. They spent over a week with a skid loader sporting a pavement breaker.

I hope you find a good solution.

13engines

Stainless
By being asked how to get rid of them, I take it the powers that be have already decided they're unusable or cannot be modified for the new machines? I'd do everything I could to re-use.

Though I suppose it could be like some old houses or commercial buildings. Cheaper and easier to tear down and rebuild then to try to fix what's there.

2outof3

Titanium
I have photos of two excavators, one with a bucket and one with the jackhammer on it, inside a customers building from earlier this year. They started on a Friday when the shop was closed but still ended up needing an extra day. I bet it was $20k just for the removal. Noisy does not begin to describe that process inside a building.

DDoug

Diamond
Drag out the old drawings for the existing foundations.
Draw your new foundations where you want them, overlayed with the old.
See if they fit inside the pit, remove just what is needed with a jackhamer & excavator + about 1 foot around it.

NAST555

Stainless
A few years ago we threw a foundation for a Elga mill that has 5M travel. Dug up the existing factory floor and did the necessary re bar grid patterns and laid anchor plates for the mill before we threw the concrete. We did overkill it a bit but rather safe than sorry. It replaced two old monster gantry style mills that were placed on the factory floor from close to the beginning of the factory being built, over 50 years ago and were used machines then, that had pretty much seen their end of life.
If we ever had to get rid of the mill and replace (which I doubt will happen anytime soon, or not at all) I would probably do something along the lines that Doug suggested because I am confident that if we broke out inside or around the existing and tied into it we would not have issues. Come to think of it we have a planer that is pretty big, from memory also 5M, that has done well for many years on a foundation that was tied into existing "frames" of foundation. We don't use it any more but when it was running we never had issues with concrete separation or cracks around it.

ShaunM

Aluminum
Cut a fat PO to the contractors with the right tools for the job and leave them to their devices over a weekend. Occasionally we only remove what is necessary as noted above and bury the rest.

CarlBoyd

Hot Rolled
I have photos of two excavators, one with a bucket and one with the jackhammer on it, inside a customers building from earlier this year. They started on a Friday when the shop was closed but still ended up needing an extra day. I bet it was $20k just for the removal. Noisy does not begin to describe that process inside a building.
They did this at the place I work several years ago, BIG foundation. It took weeks.

CarlBoyd

Garwood

Diamond
Locally, very large paper mill that was established in the 1800's has been in the process of demolition for a couple years now. Lots of thick reinforced concrete. I was told one of the cranes in there was 150' span and 50 ton. It had it's own power plant on site.

A dozen 40 ton excavators with breakers working 5 days a week has just about got it looking like none of it was ever there.

If it were my big foundation to figure out what to do with, I would add onto it. That's what I do with old concrete slabs- I pour them into new concrete slabs.

Ozworks

Plastic
If the SNK's are like our old ones there will be very large pieces of I-beams at the floor surface level that the machines attached to. They were so large they were installed in pieces. We had the same situation of digging several feet deep and tons of rebar and concrete refilling the holes. Our new machines were positioned strategically to not require demolition of the old foundations. (lucky)