What's new
What's new

How can I avoid huanyang VFD with a different name?

I want to purchase a vfd off amazon. I read the sticky about huanyang vfds are banned.
How would I know if its a rebranded vfd from huanyang?
Is the brand name VEVOR an ok unit?

The problem is with the internet. Even amazon now has been found to be selling illegal goods. Being as how you are from Illinois, you probably know about Maxwell Street in Chicago. Your wanting to buy an unknown product from the internet is like going to Maxwell Street and buying a Rolex.

Good quality VFD's with established reputations are available from reliable suppliers for little more than an unknown from the internet.

Tom

Last edited:
The problem is with the internet. Even amazon now has found to be selling illegal goods. Being as how you are from Illinois, you probably know about Maxwell Street in Chicago. Your wanting to buy an unknown product from the internet is like going to Maxwell Street and buying Rolex.

Good quality VFD's with established reputations are available from reliable suppliers for little more than an unknown from the internet.

Tom

But that's where the Blues Brothers bought their instruments from Ray Charles... It must be legit... That was a mission from God.

That kinda took a left turn.. um..

Which reliable supplier should I trust to find a good quality VFD with a established reputation for little more than internet garbage?

Worry less about the supplier (seller), and more about the brand.

TECO, Hitachi, Invertek, etc are not going to sell dicey crap. They sell reliably middle-of-the-road very usable stuff.

If you run up against brands you do not recognize, just don't mess with them.

Why would you want to buy a VFD from Amazon, and for that matter eBay? When it comes to VFD's it is a garbage dump of 3rd party sellers with no post sales support. These days most of the VFD vendors that sell on Amazon originate offshore. You might as well be buying from AliExpress. I get sick and tired helping people that buy Lapond, Vevor, Mollom, Mysweetie, Zhong, Shzond, Rattmmotor, SZCY, HKS, DPS, Blah, Blah, Blah VFD's and then complain about not being able to read the translated manual, let alone getting the VFD to work. If it is too good to be true, then it is most likely is crap. You shouldn't need to up-size a VFD if is is designed properly, most of these VFD's have internals/terminals that are way undersized for the supposed current levels, and ironically there are now Huanyang copies that are even cheaper and shittier. There are many mainstream VFD dealers that sell consumer level VFD's that will work well and they provide support pre/post sales, such as like Wolf Automation, Automation Direct, Drives Warehouse, Motors and Controls, etc. Teco, Fuji, Hitachi, Lenze, Yaskawa ... have very good entry level VFD's that are reasonably priced, have readable manuals, that will work out of the box and last a long time. If you buy your cheap VFD from Amazon from a noname dealer, what do you expect to get?

If you want to buy a VFD that you can trust will still be working a decade from now, is easy to set up, has unmatched high quality documentation and will blow you away with features while also being low cost . . . Nidec / Control-Techniques.

We have integrated over 3000 CT drives in just over 26 years . . . the majority of which are still in production in 24x365 applications.

Danfoss, Westinghouse, Allen Bradley...

Hell, pretty much anything off of Automation Direct for that matter will be better than the generic import stuff sold on Amazon, upon which each seller merely stamps their own branding.

I personally have been impressed with ABB's ACS-150 line for small, full-featured single-phase input drives.

Wolf has LS electric, Fuji and Hitachi for about $270. I can swing that I suppose. Automation direct seems to be sold out of everything budget friendly.

My personal experience has led me to go back to Lapond from Amazon numerous times, they're made by Soyan power and their manuals are well written and available in PDF ahead of purchase to review (I did before buying my first based on the Huanyang feedback). Their SVD-PS series supports braking resistors and I've found are worth the few extra bucks over their cheapest line. These are for my personal use and one I installed for a friend, not industrial use by any means, but I just ordered another 3hp for a 2x72 belt grinder I'm building.

I want to purchase a vfd off amazon. I read the sticky about huanyang vfds are banned.

They must have an acceptable failure rate loss and still make a profit. Much like the USPS has with Amazon postal shipment loss.
They probably over-spec the VFD's so that failure to abuse is approaching the line where profit and loss meet.
They have this stuff figured out by now. Even to make a so called questionable VFD requires some expertise.

I had a couple of those small VFD's in my clutches for a while. Decided to return them. When I was in a two week decision period I met this guy
from something like 50 miles east. The location was in a surplus electronics place. He desperately needed one of these import VFD's to keep his
bread factory going. He offered to me twice what I paid and I said it was not that. I said that I bought the VFD's at this store and I don't know
if they even work. This guy was desperate, an economic hostage.

serf.jpg

Last edited:
I think the basic problem has two parts.

First, the construction of many has been very poor. They have probably improved that.

Second, the path from the maker to the typical Amazon or Aliexpress customer appears to have been from the "rework" pile out the side door of the factory to some fly by night operator who sells them as if they were new and tested OK.

It would be surprising if they were all as bad as the worst. Very possibly, the folks who say they work fine got theirs from an actual legitimate seller of new product.

But, since there are so many very questionable ones around, and the manuals don't seem to be improving much, it's easier to just say "forget the lot of them". I'm not interested in providing support for cheap chinese products from doubtful sellers. That seems to be in-line with the restrictions on discussed machine types.

I ended up buying an Invertek drive from wolf automation. Model # ODE-3-220105-1F42 . Cost about $338 IIRC. It was the least expensive, in-stock option for my requirements. It should arrive tomorrow (wolf is only a few towns away from me).
Thanks for your help, I will post new threads with questions once I start to install/program.

Invertek (and also Wolf) have very good technical support, I know a few people that purchased them and they guided them through their recommended wiring and programming. You pay a little more, but you get a bit more.

Invertek is a good choice. I used to be involved with their US operation, and found them to have nearly the best overall documentation I had seen.

Their units also performed well in some odd uses. I am several years out from that, and no longer know their models well.

As with everything, you get what you pay for, buy cheap you get cheap,when you need help a unknown drive with limited or no support is worthless.

Bottom line, with many of the good brands mentioned here, a 230 volt 3 hp drive with dynamic braking capability can be bought in the $300 range +/-, maybe just a little more now. I am a WEG fan cause I know those guys really well, and I paid around $280 for the last 3hp I bought for my lathe and it works great.

My personal experience has led me to go back to Lapond from Amazon numerous times, they're made by Soyan power and their manuals are well written and available in PDF ahead of purchase to review (I did before buying my first based on the Huanyang feedback). Their SVD-PS series supports braking resistors and I've found are worth the few extra bucks over their cheapest line. These are for my personal use and one I installed for a friend, not industrial use by any means, but I just ordered another 3hp for a 2x72 belt grinder I'm building.
I am glad to hear you say that because I put one on my lathe today! I bought it despite the low price, as I assumed it had to be junk for that price, but someone posted detailed instructions on how to install it on my lathe. Other brands seem to have their instructions in Greek.

Back