What's new
What's new

How do I enter tool numbers? Hyundai VMC/Fanuc controller

GAT39

Plastic
Hi everyone. My company recently purchased 2 used Hyundai WIA F400 VMC's. Both have a Fanuc 32i controller. Basically here you go. Figure it out with no training. I've programmed and operated nothing but HAAS VMC's in the past. So it's been a learning curve for me. I'm stuck on how to enter tool numbers into the machine. I'm use to the HAAS where there's a pockets with tool numbers page. You simply enter the number into a pocket. Thanks in advance.

No. It's a side mounted tool changer. It'll change out tools to random pockets. Which what I'm use to.

Why do you need to enter tool numbers ever, even on a Haas?
At my shop we run thousands of different parts that require different tooling. We have multiple changes daily. The parts differ so much that it's hard to standardize tools. My CAM tool library has over 200 different tools in it. So leaving the same tools in the machine isn't an option.

I have 97 Mori with a Fanuc 18MC and it has a tool pot tool number page. So a 32i should have one also. Mine is in the Custom menu/ Tool/ Next. Shows all the pots and the current assigned tool number. You can rearrange as needed or zero them all out and set as needed. If you're measuring all your tools offline, you should be able to make a program and run it once and it will automatically fill in your offsets. Work offsets too for that matter.

Go to your tool offsets page and PUNCH out your offsets. This will give you the nomenclature/syntax you need.

Being that it's in a Custom Menu, it may be a Mori thing. There is also a SETUP function for finding Work Offsets etc. Push all the buttons on the control including the Right and Left Arrows under the screen. See what you got.

Download a 32i Operating Manual of the www. It should show all the various pages that are in the control. Although being Fanuc, many pages may only show if the option for it is installed.

Last edited:
If you have no particular preference for tool numbers, then execute in MDI, T01 M06, for example. Whichever tool gets loaded, remember its number as 1.

Hi everyone. My company recently purchased 2 used Hyundai WIA F400 VMC's. Both have a Fanuc 32i controller. Basically here you go. Figure it out with no training. I've programmed and operated nothing but HAAS VMC's in the past. So it's been a learning curve for me. I'm stuck on how to enter tool numbers into the machine. I'm use to the HAAS where there's a pockets with tool numbers page. You simply enter the number into a pocket. Thanks in advance.
Well, if it's anything like our F960's they bury the pocket/magazine page deep.

Settings=> PMC Maintenence =>Data=> Select group 7=> OPRT=> Zoom

It might be a bit different, we have 2 960's both with 31i controls from close years and they differ a bit in how you reach that page, but hopefully that gets you close.

If I am understanding the OP, He wants to reassign a tool number to tools that are already in the magazine. So what was tool#1 1/2 endmill will become tool#15 1/2 endmill. Without taking it out of pocket X.

13engines, I doubt it is as good an interface as a 20year old Mori. Its probably a data table .

Call Hyundai. Usually on modern controllers, like the 32i, there's a "Tool Data" page under Custom 1.
Is there no documentation with the machines?

Well, if it's anything like our F960's they bury the pocket/magazine page deep.

Settings=> PMC Maintenence =>Data=> Select group 7=> OPRT=> Zoom

It might be a bit different, we have 2 960's both with 31i controls from close years and they differ a bit in how you reach that page, but hopefully that gets you close.

Thank you. This got me to where I wanted to go. Appreciate the help.

…….Download a 32i Operating Manual of the www. It should show all the various pages that are in the control. Although being Fanuc, many pages may only show if the option for it is installed.
Looking through Fanuc manuals will not show how to set tool to pot correspondence. The machine builder determines how they want tool to pot correspondence to be done. That’s part of the work the builder has to do when integrating the control to their machine. That’s why higher level builders have a page under the Custom screens while others go the more simple route of making a user access the data table within PMC parameters area of the control.

Looking through Fanuc manuals will not show how to set tool to pot correspondence. The machine builder determines how they want tool to pot correspondence to be done. That’s part of the work the builder has to do when integrating the control to their machine. That’s why higher level builders have a page under the Custom screens while others go the more simple route of making a user access the data table within PMC parameters area of the control.
I should have figured. I think the thing to remember is Fanuc is all about Motion Control. Most everything else being at the whims of the MTB.

I should have figured. I think the thing to remember is Fanuc is all about Motion Control. Most everything else being at the whims of the MTB.
Excellent way to view it. Not enough folks get that Fanuc knows nothing about the peripheral equipment a machine builder is putting together. They simply provide tools for the builder to integrate those devices and create a program for operation of those devices.

Back