What's new
What's new

How do i open this lathe motor? kinda stuck halfway-

Savedbygrace77

Aluminum
Working on getting a 2nd lathe up and running at the shop for small projects. Bought this for 60 bucks, looks very similar to my sb9 bed, but the head stock is different.

Well after 5 years i finally decided to take a look as there are no wires to hook up to.. got this far and not sure what is holding it together - no snap ring or circlip on the back end..

1679964225149.png

1679964238065.png

tx jim, yes cap start- are you saying the cap needs to energize sth for it to release basically? I have 2 motors on the bench, this one - and another that just hums and hardly turns.. bummer cos its a nice motor.. 110 and 220- it has no brushes - just this thing at the back, it came apart quite easy tho- ill snag another pic 2moro at the shop..

1680055821902.png

another thing is that is a bushing motor [not a ball bearing ] could it be the the rear bushing has run dry [no oil ] and the shaft is stuck in the bushing

I have a Reliance motor with the exact looking cover in the first pic. The information plates are opposite from the drive side.
Your drive side will have a pulley covering the info plates. Reverse the covers so the pulley is opposite.

You are using a two wire cord. Notice that screw with the green color. That is for a ground wire from a proper 3-wire conductor cord.

Be sure to sprinkle wood dust over everything before your next picture.

Last edited:
There is an end play limiting clip on the shaft on the start switch side. Pry off the center cap and you'll see it.

** Since you have been trying to get it apart that clip likely has put a burr on the shaft. Be sure to file this off so it doesn't tear material off the bearing.

Back