What's new
What's new

How do you handle people touching your tools.

Borrow it more than once, it's time to buy your own...

You've discovered the difference between a worker drone and a craftsman.
I worked at a place where one of the cranky old guys would hoard shop tools….even lathe cutting tools…he was so hard to talk to or track down I’d often just suck it up and buy my own haha….now I have a pretty nice collection and can do almost every job out of my own box

When I was hired, I was given a list of tools I should purchase. In the shop it was clear to never touch another man's tool box. Now I am in a different department. I am a small one man machine shop in an R&D Lab. No one I work with has any shop or mechanic experience. I mostly fabricate proto types or things for testing rigs. Sometimes I assist engineers with tearing down and testing some of the more mechanic units / products.

Some of these engineers keep asking to borrow my tools. I have showed them a tool box in a different room that has company bought tools to be used by everyone. But they still ask me for tools. Then when I left my shop for a min and came back I saw one of them using my screw driver. He didn't even ask. I have a sign on my tool box that says do not touch. Then I caught another one pulling a drawer on my box open and putting a wrench back.
Way back when I was a mechanic in an auto dealership. We were all pretty good about loaning tools to each other and everybody thought it was normal to do so. Except one guy. He wouldn't give you the time of day if you asked, let alone loan you a tool.

One day the wheel fell off his toolbox as he was rolling it across the asphalt. Right in the driveway where all the cars being serviced came in and out. Do you think anybody went and helped him pick up the tools that were scattered about? We sure had a good laugh, though.

If you have a problem with people grabbing tools without asking, deal with it. Lock your toolbox when you are away, but don't put a sign up saying don't touch my tools, you are just like the guy above if you do that.

Way back when I was a mechanic in an auto dealership. We were all pretty good about loaning tools to each other and everybody thought it was normal to do so. Except one guy. He wouldn't give you the time of day if you asked, let alone loan you a tool.

One day the wheel fell off his toolbox as he was rolling it across the asphalt. Right in the driveway where all the cars being serviced came in and out. Do you think anybody went and helped him pick up the tools that were scattered about? We sure had a good laugh, though.

If you have a problem with people grabbing tools without asking, deal with it. Lock your toolbox when you are away, but don't put a sign up saying don't touch my tools, you are just like the guy above if you do that.
I guess I was just taught differently. When I spend money out of my own pocket and people just take my stuff with out asking. Or "borrow" it and do not return it. I have a serious problem. And your story about not helping the guy who dumped his tool box. Yes. that is his problem. Co workers are not friends. We are here to do a job. Not make friends. If you do happen to get along or make friends that is great but that is not why we go to work. and the fact is. If you make co workers your friend group. Those co workers will disappear, so what does it matter.

I guess I was just taught differently. When I spend money out of my own pocket and people just take my stuff with out asking. Or "borrow" it and do not return it. I have a serious problem. And your story about not helping the guy who dumped his tool box. Yes. that is his problem. Co workers are not friends. We are here to do a job. Not make friends. If you do happen to get along or make friends that is great but that is not why we go to work. and the fact is. If you make co workers your friend group. Those co workers will disappear, so what does it matter.
As Sonny Liston once said - “ You Can’t Put Friends In The Bank “.

Regards Tyrone

Taking, without putting back, is stealing.
I had gotten so damn tired of that, and the resulting delays and aggravation.
Yeah, it was a pain locking everything, but it stopped the problem. Dead.
After that, I was on my things like a mother hen.

I know of a situation from a former life, where one particular guy was absolutely off the wall about locking his tool box. These were company owned boxes and tools, not personally owned. One day, during lunch, someone drilled and taped his locked box for a zerk fitting . . .yes, they filled it.

We were all pretty good about loaning tools to each other and everybody thought it was normal to do so
Just wanted to point out that this statement is very different from saying something like, "we all borrowed each other's tools without even asking, and everybody did it, so it must be OK"

Back