What's new
What's new

How does one find a mtb that offers 5C and gang tooling that are worth finding?

DMSentra

Cast Iron
The various chinese manuf all bring negative opinions and reviews that I can find. Omniturn is still at it. Seems Hardinge has left 5c for 16c? Prodigy is bringing good reviews except like one that stated the deal killer, crazy door design. Is there a database of features that will help with searching machines?

Once you get over how kinda crude the OmniTurn is, and how the control is straight outta 1982... I know a bunch of shops around here who have them and they are total workhorses.

Also if you are in Eugene, they are a nice drive out to the coast. You can throw it in the back of a pickup truck.

Why 5c specifically? You can run 5c collets in an adapter in a 16c spindle which is what I typically do on my CHNC 42.

Hardinge do list these options for the GT27 though, Chuck Size - 4C, 5C, 6C & 16C.

How about Cubic Machinery? I believe they are rebranded Polygim machines, the Polygim Mini 88 is offered as full gang tool or turret and half gang tool iirc.

If I was in the states or if they were sold here I'd take a look at OmniTurn myself, as above they do look a bit crude and out dated but we're talking about the most basic of turning centres here really so they're still viable with the right work.

Buy something like a Takamatsu and put whatever collet system you want. They made a really nice gang machine and though it’s been a long time since I last worked on them they were built with standard A type spindles so chucks or collets could be fitted.

I cannot help with a database of features. Hardinge still shows the GT-27 available as well as the 5C CHNC. I have both Omniturns and as well as a GT-27. They both have a place in my shop, Some jobs are better suited for one machine or the other. Other jobs work as well on one as the other and just depends on what is available that day.

Many years ago I talked to a Hardinge technician and asked about the possibility of a GT being produced with a 1/2 max collet with the idea of stuffing more smaller tool holders into a setup. He liked the idea especially with a 20,000 RPM spindle option. Evidently he was not a decision maker since they still do not have such an animal.

I cannot help with a database of features. Hardinge still shows the GT-27 available as well as the 5C CHNC. I have both Omniturns and as well as a GT-27. They both have a place in my shop, Some jobs are better suited for one machine or the other. Other jobs work as well on one as the other and just depends on what is available that day.
I know of quite a few shops around here that use CHNC's and they churn out a lot of parts.

Why 5c specifically? You can run 5c collets in an adapter in a 16c spindle which is what I typically do on my CHNC 42.

Hardinge do list these options for the GT27 though, Chuck Size - 4C, 5C, 6C & 16C.
Does anyone here have knowledge on the GT27 with the odd collet sizes. The did offer the GT with a 16C collet a few years ago. 5C I understand and got one, the 4C is that an adapted 5C or a real 4C spindle? Maybe the technician did have some pull?
I need to pull my Hardinge collet book out and figure out what a 6C collet is, right now I am clueless.

A catalog and internet search found no 6C collets, drawings or capacities. Makes you wonder if the person that writes the stuff on Hardinge's web site makes a lot of typos.

Last edited:
Does anyone here have knowledge on the GT27 with the odd collet sizes. The did offer the GT with a 16C collet a few years ago. 5C I understand and got one, the 4C is that an adapted 5C or a real 4C spindle? Maybe the technician did have some pull?
I need to pull my Hardinge collet book out and figure out what a 6C collet is, right now I am clueless.

A catalog and internet search found no 6C collets, drawings or capacities. Makes you wonder if the person that writes the stuff on Hardinge's web site makes a lot of typos.
I've never heard of those either, I wonder if they are some super specific single application things they've done before and now just list as an offering.

Once you get over how kinda crude the OmniTurn is, and how the control is straight outta 1982... I know a bunch of shops around here who have them and they are total workhorses.

Also if you are in Eugene, they are a nice drive out to the coast. You can throw it in the back of a pickup truck.
Omniturn is def on the list for a variety of reasons. Tomorrow I'm going to pick up a CHNC2 so this whole topic is somewhat moot, but I still want to tour Omniturn.

How about Cubic Machinery? I believe they are rebranded Polygim machines, the Polygim Mini 88 is offered as full gang tool or turret and half gang tool iirc.

If I was in the states or if they were sold here I'd take a look at OmniTurn myself, as above they do look a bit crude and out dated but we're talking about the most basic of turning centres here really so they're still viable with the right work.
I'm not feeling using adapters for collets, and I have a bigger cnc for upsized work.
I've read some bad reviews on cubic build quality so they're down on the list until proven otherwise.

I know of quite a few shops around here that use CHNC's and they churn out a lot of parts.
I happened onto a CHNC 2 the other day, am picking it up tomorrow. So that will have to fill the wants leading to my posting the topic here. I'd prefer a gang lathe but it looks like I can gang mount 2 or 3 tools possible per turret position for those real simple where time is a bigger factor?

@DMSentra The CHNC has the ability to swap tools in and out pretty quickly and setups seem to be quite expedient according the guys I know that use them.
I think you've got a money maker.

If any of you have firsthand knowledge on rigging and securing a 1990 Hardinge CHNC II on a trailer I'd gladly read your recommendations on how. I'm not new to moving machines but I'd like to show up mostly prepared to bring this thing home tomorrow instead of winging it. It's a 5 hour trip back, but I hauled a Okuma MC4va half again that far.
Thinking about taking bolts that I can replace the oem jack screws with and fasten it to some 4x6's but would need to dia. and pitch. What do you guys think on that and strapping?

Last edited:
I'm not feeling using adapters for collets, and I have a bigger cnc for upsized work.
My CHNC came with a Hardinge 16c to 5c adapter, it's extremely useful and I still get very low run out with it with decent 5c collets, most being 0.01mm TIR. Obviously collet directly into the spindle is better but the adapters are very good imo.

Perhaps I am missing something in this whole thread.
Just when did Hardinge leave 5C for 16C?
What do you mean by "not feeling adapters for collets" ?
Hope you are not talking about what Hardinge calls "collet in the spindle" or something'nuther.

I stopped by Babin Machine at EASTEC this week. He's got a sweet table-top lathe (mounted on a roll-away). It's new, and not on his website, give him a call?

The standard Hardinge Quest GT27 comes with a 5c chuck. The 27 stands for up to 27mm through bore. You can get the big bore option that has the 16c if you want. The 16c is for up to 42mm through bore. I am not familiar with the other sizes but they have those there just to let people know they have options I guess. But the 5c is the most common.

Last edited:

Back