What's new
What's new

How easy is it to disassemble Boyar Schultz 618 without letting the magic out

rk9268vc

Aluminum
Just purchased a little Boyar Schultz 618

it sat for 5+ years before I bought it and is now dirty and full of old oil and lube
I want to disassemble it to clean it and re oil/ lube
How easy is it to disassemble one without "letting the magic out"?

It seems that the table just sits on a V rail like a lathe saddle and should be able to just lift off, but i dont know about anything else
1655325945741.png

The pdf sizes of the manuals are too big to attach, but i found part of one that is small enough if you want to have a gander

unfortunately i havent been able to find an exploded view of the machine anywhere

anyone have experience taking a grinder to bits and it still working well after it has been put back together? I know like on my mills and lathes they have gibbs you can adjust, but i dont see anything like that on the grinder

thanks

Attachments

• 6882 boyar shultz manual 2.pdf
    595.5 KB · Views: 12
I have a Micromaster 618 that I recently cleaned up. A different machine but it worked out to simply start taking panels and parts off. Maybe my experience is very different because of the continuous lubrication in a μM.

It looks like it should just lift off. Some grinders have belt drives or hydraulic cylinders for the table that need to be disconnected before the table can be removed but it looks like yours is just driven by that gear rack and pinion, so it should lift right off. You can run the table to its extremes and look up underneath to make sure nothing else looks to be connected, then try lifting up one end by hand, then the other. If they both lift you should be able to either get a helper and lift it off or get a small engine hoist or similar to lift it off. There are no gibs on a surface grinder table of this geometry, gravity does the job.

So i think the top just lifts off, but i have no idea how to get the saddle off. It is driven by an acme thread it looks like and dont know how to free it or if taking the nut off would introduce backlash

Looking at the section view drawing on the manual you attached, it looks like the crossfeed nut bolts to the bottom of the saddle. After removing the table you may be able to remove the cap screws holding the nut and then just lift the saddle off. That will depend on whether it's dowel pinned and whether those dowels, if present, will slide out easily. If they are present and won't easily slide out, you'll probably need to pull some covers at front and possibly rear, remove whatever locks the end of the crossfeed screw in position (looks like front cover in your case) and unscrew it from the nut and remove it by sliding out the front. Then you can lift the saddle off. Keep an eye out for any lubrication lines etc. also.

Keep in mind this is just general guidance - this is one of those things that you really need to have eyes on or experience with the specific machine to say for sure what all needs to be done. While I've had a good handful of different grinders apart for rebuild and maintenance, I have not had one of those apart - just going off what I see in the drawings.

Looking at the section view drawing on the manual you attached..........

Thanks for the help!

There are some hardlines for way oil that ill have to be careful with
I dint really know too much about this grinder, as i just bought it. Just going to have to be careful

If the nut is pinned so it will go back in the same spot, that is a good idea to just keep the nut on the screw and take it off of the saddle. Assuming i can get to it

Back