What's new
What's new

How High Can I Make my Pole Building?

Actually I have the crane. Its a 5 ton Wallace gantry crane that I bought at an auction a couple of months ago. $2,500 for that. It has a 35 foot span and is adjustable in height up to 19' under the girder. Thats a $25,000 crane new!

Found a P&H Zip II 3 ton electric hoist at a local steel plant that was thrown out but only needs a wheel. A Forum member is making it up for me for $150. Also have a chain hoist for making up to 5 ton lifts which would be the low pressure cylinder head and piston/rod. Anything heavier is already in place and won't ever move again!

As for being wealthy I don't think so. I have a $12 an hour job at a machine shop but do sell a selection of items targeted mainly toward steel industry modelers, historians and enthusiasts which also helps to bring in money. I also do sell some items on ebay which helps as well. The Tod family has been quite generous to us over the years.

I also have an ability to find stuff for low cost or free. For instance I need 14 three inch diameter pieces of round bar for new foundation bolts. These will be various lengths from 34" to 96" long threaded both ends. I found the bar for free, all I have to do is cut it down out of a factory building. I've also learned how to thread the rods on our Skoda lathe, thanks to another member of the forum, so that phase of the project will cost me very little.

There are still BIG costs ahead which can't be divided into smaller chunks. Mainly I am talking about the engine foundation which Joe Michaels recently designed. It will cost about $15,000 just for the concrete. I don't know where that money will come from yet but it will come somehow. It always does.

I have made arrangements for the future stewardship of the site after I am no longer to care for it. That shouldn't happen for several decades but when the time comes I plan to be able to pass on the site to those who will care for it into the future. The engine is an important piece of our local industrial history and deserves to be preserved and exhibited for future generations to see and enjoy.

I realize this is a VERY OLD thread, but I came across it while hunting around for more information about ‘tall walls’.

The best source for information about tall, single storey wood walls that I’ve come across is -

Canadian Wood Council – Tall Walls Workbook (2000 & 2007) http://cwc.ca/wp-content/uploads/publications-TallWalls07-E.pdf

This is a design guidebook for Single Storey Commercial Wood Structures with stud walls up to 39 feet high.

I’ve shown this publication to a few architects and engineers here in America, and most have shaken their heads in bewilderment.

I'm so glad that the local municipality are unable to regulate building activities here on the farm.

[FONT=&quot][/FONT]

Dang, there ought to be a limit on how old a thread can be dredged up. Surely the info in #22 has no relevance now to Mr Rowlands, but
might be of interest to a few.

I realize this is a VERY OLD thread, but I came across it while hunting around for more information about ‘tall walls’.

The best source for information about tall, single storey wood walls that I’ve come across is -

Canadian Wood Council – Tall Walls Workbook (2000 & 2007) http://cwc.ca/wp-content/uploads/publications-TallWalls07-E.pdf

This is a design guidebook for Single Storey Commercial Wood Structures with stud walls up to 39 feet high.

I’ve shown this publication to a few architects and engineers here in America, and most have shaken their heads in bewilderment.

I'm so glad that the local municipality are unable to regulate building activities here on the farm.

[FONT="][/FONT]

Rick was building a "pole building" and your linked document is for "stud Wall construction"....Idiot.

"I'm so glad that the local municipality are unable to regulate building activities here on the farm"

Yup, let's hope it all falls down...

In cruising the area take note and photos of tall buildings.

In our area height limited to 15 feet.

But...

Some folks wanted 2 story, cannot do that in 15 feet, what to do...

Create an exemption of sorts, setback application.

Can now go 35 ft high but must go back from a setback point (10 to 15 ft from property line side and 20 ft front and back) one foot back for every ft above 15.

Out building location mattered to the inch...

Would have loved to make lower walls a couple ft taller but was limited.

The code is located in special place that one of the county folks showed me and stated the permit would fail and i would need to point out that page which we did...

In your case visit the building department and ask a lot of questions and take notes as well as collecting cards from all folks providing help.

Ask specific questions about structure type, wall height and any other items that you are not sure of.

Revisit often as you create your building plan so you keep it in code.

We made many trips with many sets of drawings and after the last set was verbally approved for 30x55 ft the manufacturer stated the building is modular and each can be up to 12 ft long and for $900.00 we could increase to 30 x 60...another set of drawings and all good.

Ask specifically about any limitations as well.

Note, building a "shop" invites inquiry from fire department and other entities ad to what ki d of shop and higher fees.

However, a "storage building" has little activity so no questions and much cheaper.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

The old Paddington Tram Depot had poles(stumps ) 90 ft long at the rear,due to the steep hillside.....a previous lord mayor burnt it down to get rid of the trams........burnt for four days,all the oil and grease in the wood,with 70 ton trams falling thru the floor,and crashing down the hillside..

Back