What's new
What's new

How I made dead length collet out of a 5c extended length emergency collet.

jims

Hot Rolled
This will work for a lot of small parts. Where the length of part is critical and the stock od varies causing lengths to change. I bored a Hardinge emergency 5c collet to size needed , then drilled a cross hole thru side of collet. Drilled the hole with enough slop that when I slipped a 1/4 inch bolt thru hole and across face of fixed end of spindle the collet gripped stock but no pull back because bolt was free floating in hole . The bolt then became a stop when pushed against fixed against fixed end of machine. The bolt was free floating in hole but held in place by bolt head on one end and a nut on other end. So the collet grips the part and the bolt stops collet pull back.
Jimsehr

I also found a company that makes 5c emenercy extended length collets named Exact tool and supply that makes these collets to hold larger size parts.

Jims, you should post a photo. I think Thermite did not understand your post. If I read it properly one side of the 1/4" bolt rests against the front of the spindle and then the part rests against the other side of the bolt. That should provide positive positioning. But just how that happens is not clear. Do your 5C collets fit inside the spindle? Or do you have a separate, collet chuck that mounts on the spindle and the collets are in it. But then, how does the bolt rest against the spindle? Is it the ends of the bolt (head and nut)? Or does the center of the bolt rest against the spindle?

More explanation is needed and one or more photos would be nice.

Once i noticed the draw back problem, I wanted a really fixed stop for my SB lathe so I built this:

P1010024crop.JPG

The handwheel (at the left in the photo), with a roller thrust bearing rests against the outboard end of the spindle. The collet draw bar is attached to the handwheel. The threaded rod passes through a brass nut which is threaded onto the end of the draw bar and can be adjusted by turning it in that nut. There is a steel lock nut to prevent it from changing position. The threaded rod passes all the way through the draw bar and it's right end passes into the collet. This provides true positive positioning for all the collets I have for the SB, not just one. It completely solves the draw back problem.

Note: The brass nut was made from a brass pipe cap. The original, inside threads are what attaches it to the draw bar. A hole drilled in the center was tapped for the threaded rod.

Jims, you should post a photo. I think Thermite did not understand your post. If I read it properly one side of the 1/4" bolt rests against the front of the spindle and then the part rests against the other side of the bolt. That should provide positive positioning. But just how that happens is not clear. Do your 5C collets fit inside the spindle? Or do you have a separate, collet chuck that mounts on the spindle and the collets are in it. But then, how does the bolt rest against the spindle? Is it the ends of the bolt (head and nut)? Or does the center of the bolt rest against the spindle?

More explanation is needed and one or more photos would be nice.

Once i noticed the draw back problem, I wanted a really fixed stop for my SB lathe so I built this:

View attachment 366087

The handwheel (at the left in the photo), with a roller thrust bearing rests against the outboard end of the spindle. The collet draw bar is attached to the handwheel. The threaded rod passes through a brass nut which is threaded onto the end of the draw bar and can be adjusted by turning it in that nut. There is a steel lock nut to prevent it from changing position. The threaded rod passes all the way through the draw bar and it's right end passes into the collet. This provides true positive positioning for all the collets I have for the SB, not just one. It completely solves the draw back problem.

Note: The brass nut was made from a brass pipe cap. The original, inside threads are what attaches it to the draw bar. A hole drilled in the center was tapped for the threaded rod.
Paul
yes , you read it right the collet pulls back but the bolt stops against end of spindle and part stops against other side of bolt. Collet pulls back but bolt can not because it is against end of spindle. Reason to do this is extended 5c collets are much cheaper than dead length collet set ups. I have and use Hardinge dead length collets and use them but this is another dead length way to hold parts.
To do this you have to use an extended length collet. These collets extend out of spindle about an inch. Hardinge sells them and as I said company called Exact Tool makes them with a larger size.

Jimsehr
I tried to post video of set up but can not get it to post.

Attachments

• 442AEA43-B14D-46BE-A6CD-DA45F3B076C6.jpeg
    442AEA43-B14D-46BE-A6CD-DA45F3B076C6.jpeg
    297.3 KB · Views: 18
I guess I failed to notice the use of oversized or extended length collets in this tip. It was there, just not super obvious.
The reason to use the extended 5c collets. Is that the Hardinge dead length set up costs over $250 .

Back