What's new
What's new

How many gallons actually fit in a 55-gallon drum?

I had heard that the 42 gallon standard oil barrel was because if the barrel was filled full, by the time it reached the destination there were only 42 gallons left after shipping.

Bob
WB8NQW

It's like that popular British saying: "Four and a half (imperial) gallons of one; half a firkin of the other."
Obviously, they got it from our saying: "Six of one; have a dozen of the other."

G/D/R

Last edited:
Is that a new unit of measure ? How many teenage boys can you fit in a 55 gallon dahmer ?
with or without heads ? with a 42 gal. drum there may be insufficient head space ! and with a 55 gal drum excessive head space ! better ask the owl !

So, in metric - you can git from 2 linear measurements directly to a volume measurement w/o an equazsion?

-------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox
If you mean Pi R2 x H to get volume, then no?? ......but once you have that volume in cubic metres (which also happen to be a lot easier to convert from mm or cm that inches to feet etc etc) you automatically have it in litres.

( A tad easier than 7.48052 per cuft)

Reactions: PDW
Off the top of my head, I believe that a US gallon is spec'd at 231".

Pi R"2 x H" / 231" = X US Gallons

Is your full equazsion shorter?

----------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

I just had 12 barrels of used coolant picked up by Noble. They pumped out the drums into their tank truck and handed me a receipt for 821 gallons (measured with a stick they dipped into the tank). 821 divided by 12 = 68.416 ??? Does a 55 gallon drum actaully hold over 68 gallons? We had them topped off full, but that seems like a lot of extra coolant.
Measured with a stick. Yeah, that's a legal sales measure. Bet the weights and measures guys will have a field day with that.

Ox does win for knowing the cubic inch to US gallon conversion factor off the top of his head. But that's the problem with imperial, there are so many of these oddball numbers, let alone if you measure in feet and inches or the measurement is smaller and you have fractional inches, and then have to convert those before you do volumes. With metric you basically don't have any of that, you just move decimal points around.

It is "easier" for sure.
But the Imperial system is based more on units that were (are) more usable per.

Take the "foot" fer instance.
Of course we still have one industry that somewhat uses the "hand" unit, but that's about all that uses that.

I was talking to Seth a cpl days ago, and they just adopted a baby.
He said that he has threatened to name a baby boy that measures 18" at birth "Cubit".
Mamma's not necessarily on board just yet tho. :skep:

-------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Measured with a stick. Yeah, that's a legal sales measure. Bet the weights and measures guys will have a field day with that.
That was a common way to measure a tank, at least back in the day. I worked at an ExxonMobil station part time in 1974 during high school. We had a 10 foot long one inch square wooden pole with professionally inscribed numbers on it. Kind of like a 10 ft long yard stick. Every day we would stick the pole into the tanks to measure the wet mark on the pole to calculate the fuel remaining. Then that was compared to the total readings on the mechanical dispensing pumps. That way the owner of station could tell if there was any funny stuff going on. Like being shorted on deliveries, tank leakage, or employee theft.

I didn't realize that 1 US gallon (compared to the Imperial gallon, the US gallon is the Canadian dollar of gallons) is exactly 231 cubic inches. If you do a prime factorization of 231 it comes out to 7x11x3. So an 11"x7"x3" cuboid of liquid is exactly 1 gallon. That, people, is why we can't get back to the moon.

I didn't realize that 1 US gallon (compared to the Imperial gallon, the US gallon is the Canadian dollar of gallons) is exactly 231 cubic inches. If you do a prime factorization of 231 it comes out to 7x11x3. So an 11"x7"x3" cuboid of liquid is exactly 1 gallon. That, people, is why we can't get back to the moon.
To show my math level - that is right over my head.

To find out how many bodies per barrel will fit, look up Snowtown South Australia murders.

I've heard of wood sellers here selling it by the cubic tonne....

I am most impressed that this many souls still have the math and geometry skills to calculate and discuss this issue. I would expect “my phone says 55 gallons”. I always want to say”people like me wrote what’s in your phone”.

I am most impressed that this many souls still have the math and geometry skills to calculate and discuss this issue. I would expect “my phone says 55 gallons”. I always want to say”people like me wrote what’s in your phone”.
Most of us are old enough that we instinctively reach for the calculator instead of the phone.

Back