What's new
What's new

How many tool boxes are too many at work?

Thunderjet

I work at a small company in Mission Ks.
We make electronic equipment for many different industries, mostly glass to metal seal stuff.

I'm the entire tooling dept........Literally.

I have two Gerstners on my main bench that hold my important crap. Mics, indicators, straightedges, and the like. The other one holds all of my cutting tools. Reamers, spotters, hand feed drill chucks, tool bits, you get the idea.

Folks are always borrowing stuff and asking for specialty tools. (I have a lot of those). And that's cool. They respect my inventory and always return them.

The question I have is that I have many OTHER tools that I have to make room for, like files, wrenches, screw drivers, rotary tools and bits you get the idea.Now they all live in and around my benches and look disheveled usually.

Is it too much if I bring in a small roll around box to house all of these extras?

Would this be too much?

Booze Daily

I say no, not at all. I have a roll-around with all drawers, a 2 drawer riser and the biggest top box that Kennedy makes. They’re all full of stuff that I use on a semi regular basis.

EPAIII

How many are too many?

When you can't close and lock the door at night.

You need what you need and you need a place to store them.

woodsrider845

Is this a real question? I mean, "tool box". Right? But , whatever. Some dudes rock on with tool bench, tool pile, tool floor, tool bucket...

Sounds like your crowd would be happy with a tool belt, and nothing more..............:eek:

CarbideBob

One can never have too many tools.
Personal three Kennedy tops and bottoms full along with bigger stuff on shelves. Plus the Gerts for the fancy stuff.
Some machine work type stuff, some electronic, some cars.
Three more full tops and bottom boxes for shop use.
There is no end. It just keeps accumulating.
Dad had a sign "He who dies with the most toys wins". maybe it should have been "He who dies with the most tools wins"???
Bob

boslab

Be careful of ownership, mark your tools the electo etch thing or engraver or somthing, I’ve lost my tools several times due to theft, official when a liquidator came in and chained the factory doors, I turned up for work to find an assortment of bailiffs, locksmiths and police, I asked for my personal property out of there, they said fine if you can prove it’s yours, for the most part I couldn’t.
I’m not implying that’s going to happen but it was a bloody big surprise to me
I never guessed, I was part way through building at least 2 presses for tiles
Ovens and all sorts, they had a full order book.
Moral is mark your stuff, photographs receipts etc.
That taken care of I think it’s safe to have a roll cab, at least you know where stuff is, and when it isn’t
Keep the receipt, I don’t know how tax works over yonder pond but I could claim the kit on my tax, and even washing my clothes ( providing they had the company’s logo on it )
Mark

mjk

If adding roll around makes your job easier, go for it, being organized and finding what you need quickly, improves efficiency
Earlier this year I consolidated my measuring tools from many small boxes and other storage methods into a HF 52" heavy duty roll around that holds most of them. Have a small surface plate on top to use the height gauge
Once I loaded it I realized how unorganized I was

2nd making sure you id all what is yours
your shop may have a policy on personal tools on company property.
Auto mechanics go through the moving process all the time, and I've heard some horror stories about young bucks that couldn't prove ownership of some of their tools.

Mr.M

I like having a 46-60" roll around for the main toolbox so I can have a work surface wherever I am at in the shop without disrupting the work bench. (Usually doing troubleshooting or machine repair/maint)

jermfab

One can never have too many tools.
Dad had a sign "He who dies with the most toys wins". maybe it should have been "He who dies with the most tools wins"???
Bob

My family thanksgivings used to devolve into “cylinder count” right around the time the ladies started cleaning up and the kids put the tv on.

My personal work situation is rather different from most. I tend to be somewhat of a mercenary… a hired gun working towards layoff day from the moment I sign my deal memo. I want something that the only inconvenience is getting the whole affair into the back of the truck and off at the next job. Forklift/dock required.

I’ve carefully curated my “go-to-work” tools. They’ve been in several different boxes over the years and I’ve added and subtracted tools from the box, but I’ve always found it best to keep EVERYTHING in one, lockable, wheeled box/cart/roll-around.

Again, industry-specific, but I do my best to get my tools taken from and returned to, my personal shop on the back of a company stakebed… that way they’re insured by the company until wholly back under my control.

My current box is one of Lista’s smaller technician boxes. The HS-series I believe. Seven drawers, all with 400# drawer slides and the infinite reconfigurability granted by the Lista system. I’m not a shill… Lista is the pony I picked, they’re now owned by Stanley-Vidmar, no idea how those two products are merging, but Stanley-Vidmar, Roussea, any of those companies likely makes something that will put your gear all in one box AND on wheels.

Still not a shill for Lista, but their product is the one I’m most familiar with. I have spent lots of money directly with Lista… but NEVER on a complete box from the factory. The things don’t wear out and have been proven, in my experience, to be rebuildable, if it does. Though documented on this forum was the troubles I had getting parts for an obsolete lock system of theirs, thanks again Kustomizer for coming through.

Personally, I don’t want to keep up with different keys for different boxes… or have to run around tracing stuff when it comes time to take my toys and go home. I’m only as generous as the OP seems to be with a very limited number of people. Beyond those individuals, the rest make similar money to me and therefore are capable of outfitting themselves as they see fit.

I am a self-admitted “tool-whore”… I LIKE tools. I don’t want to spend excessively, but the value in better tools has proven itself to me time and again. Additionally, some old-timer beat into me that if you’re borrowing a tool from another man with regularity, you, or the boss… ought to own said tool.

Sounds like you’re managing not just your own personal “kit” but your employers as well. In that case I feel the employer should be in charge of supplying whatever system you need to catalogue the THEIR tools. You take care of your personal stuff as you see fit, I’ll still ALWAYS suggest your personal tools should be on wheels. You never know when you’ll have to go Johnny Paycheck on the boss. Were I in your shoes, I would be making the argument for the fanciest, most configurable system possible. No employer wants to shell out the money, but time is the only thing none of us can buy and being more productive saves time.

I would also argue for a label-maker once said system has been attained, so that you don’t have to be inconvenienced every time the new guy needs a file or wrench.

Be safe

Jeremy

On edit, here’s three of the seven drawers in my “go-to-work” box…
f470bbc2670ec0698d3041a99262cfeb.jpg

eb226c5cd1a8da90c10e423f68a6cbfc.jpg

29635a3a2a88f2d0aa098c5cc0de7309.jpg

Last edited:

Thunderjet

I would also argue for a label-maker once said system has been attained, so that you don’t have to be inconvenienced every time the new guy needs a file or wrench.

That's a really good idea right there^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Looks like a roll around will be in my future.
Thanks guys.

Scottl

How many are too many?

When you can't close and lock the door at night.

You need what you need and you need a place to store them.

I would dispute that somewhat.

"How many are too many?"

When you can't walk around and get your work done. Even now, as a semi-retired "old fart", at my home I have 3 rollaways, 2 intermediate, and 2 top chests plus 2 machinist boxes and miscellaneous other storage .

Pattnmaker

I have always had a big roll around box at work. But I used to work with an excellent patternmaker who used to say you should be able to pick your box up and put it under your arm and walk out. He did have a point. Just after I had been at my apprenticeship for a year the Foundry I was working for had the Union Certified. The Friday before the strike vote I took my toolbox home. I was the only one in the shop who did so, the foreman was not very pleased and I had to get someone to load it with a forklift for me. That Sunday at midnight there were fires in the middle of the street in front of the foundry and we were on strike. By Tuesday I had a new job, had I not brought my tool home I would not have had my tools at the new job.

PackardV8

Agree with many of the above. The workplace has constraints; the other employees and the employer limit being able to configure as you'd prefer.

If one has space and control, then as many boxes as you have wall/floor/shelf space. I have four double stacks for the large tools and sets. I've found the 7-drawer Kennedy machinist's chests really great for organizing and accessing smaller stuff which gets lost in larger drawers. Files, scrapers, chisels, punches, taps, dies, hole saws, drills, reamers, et al. I've now got six of them lined up along the back of a workbench. They don't take up much space and being able to lay hands on that one smaller tool is certainly beats wasting time rooting aroung in the bottom of a larger drawer; this plus the smaller don't get banged up, dulled as they do cohabiting with larger.

jack vines

jermfab

No offense, but my religion states that it is sacrilege if individual tools touch each other in a tool box drawer.
I have not attained Nirvana yet...

There’s a piece of neoprene under the Starrett rules… they don’t slide around too much on it. The square-heads are in cutouts to keep them banging against each other.

I have yet to find a job that will pay me to make the sort of divider system it would take to keep everything isolated, so I haven’t attained Nirvana either.

Don’t reckon I ever will.

Be safe

Jeremy

Mark P.

Love the Knipex tool selection you have. I had a good size Waterloo three drawer tool box in the back room by the Willis mill and a Kennedy roll away of which I used the second drawer for wrenches and the top for (a messy collection). In the front room by the Fryer mill, I had shitty Waterloo tool box/roll away I bought from Target back in the day. Everything I needed to run the machine.

Now my garage is filled with way too many tools....if that's possible

Kevin T

I am not buying another tool box for the rest of my life...if I can help it. These Husky toolbox work benches have transformed my shop space. I have the shorter 4 foot ones but the handles are removeable so you can but them up against each other. I put three of them along a wall and am thinking of adding a few more for an island with them back to back. Excellent quality and the price point is great. I would put the quality somewhere just barely below a snap on setup but way above craftsman or similar cheap-o.

black-powder-coat-paint-finish-husky-mobile-workbenches-76812a24-64_1000.jpg

It seems like there are different configurations in different markets. I am definately limited to my choices but this looks excellent.

s-l1600.jpg

rons

There’s a piece of neoprene under the Starrett rules… they don’t slide around too much on it. The square-heads are in cutouts to keep them banging against each other.

I have yet to find a job that will pay me to make the sort of divider system it would take to keep everything isolated, so I haven’t attained Nirvana either.

Don’t reckon I ever will.

Be safe

Jeremy

Relax, I really like what you did.

I have Kennedy chests and rolling carts here. They are ok but can't take heavy stuff to well.
In my arrangement of things If a indicator has a box, then I keep it in that box and store it in a drawer.
I reduce the capacity of a drawer. But I know everything is warm and protected. :D

I have more than 10 tool boxes and 2 rolling carts. Another rolling cart is a double high. Still not enough.
Thank God for cardboard boxes, for now...

jermfab

Love the Knipex tool selection you have.

I’m not paid by Knipex either, but I’m singing their praises in two separate posts this morning.

Knipex is currently my “go-to” and absolute favorite pliers maker. As you noted, most of the pliers in that drawer came from them… then there’s the expensive mistake I made on the Snap-On truck one time.

The needle-nose and lineman’s pliers with the orange-ish grips are two of a three piece Snap-On set I bought some years back. It feels like sacrilege to say it, but they’re GARBAGE!!!

The needle-nose are halfway decent, but not at all worth the cost. Meanwhile, the serrations on the lineman’s pliers are practically gone, the cutters have some serious gouges in them and the diagonal/side-cutters that rounded out this set were so bad they were long ago tossed into a scrap bin. Hopefully they’ve been repurposed into something better…

As much as I like Knipex, whenever I replace the Snap-On lineman’s I’ll buy them from Klein. The Klein’s I’ve had in the past typically take some breaking in, but once the pivot loosens up they’re awesome… at least until your asshole buddy loses them…

Be safe

Jeremy