What's new
What's new

How much weight can the e-track system in an Isuzu box truck handle?

Spud

Diamond
Isuzu cab-over box truck with E-Track. Payload capacity is 7000 lbs. Will the box sides and E-Track hold in place a top heavy mill, weighing around 3000 - 3500 lbs ? Anyone transported something similar in a box truck with E-Track?

I wouldn’t do it, if you slam on the brakes and it comes loose it’s going through the cab. I moved a BP mill across the country with a uhaul box truck, on my last day I took it into work and welded 4 pad eyes made from aluminum angle to the floor. I cut them off when I got to my new house.

I wouldn’t do it, if you slam on the brakes and it comes loose it’s going through the cab. I moved a BP mill across the country with a uhaul box truck, on my last day I took it into work and welded 4 pad eyes made from aluminum angle to the floor. I cut them off when I got to my new house.
Didn't consider it could come crashing through the cab, because I was thinking I could push the mill all the way to the front of the box, that it is up against the box wall adjacent to the cab. Was worried it would rip of the E-track and bang around inside or rip off the walls and possible fall outside.

Payload of the truck is 7000 lbs. I don't know what the E-track is rated for.

the track is only as strong as the sides of the truck at the hight they are attached, so no absolutely not suitable for machine tie downs.
the truck maxes out at 7K, but that's a distributed load, and also obviously that has nothing to do with the E tracks rating.

I like the idea of welding rings on, but ive screwed D rings to rental truck beds for tie downs (shhh, don't tell them!).
never for anything as heavy as 3k though. If you use a decent deck screw or such, like the SPAX screws, and use
enough of them and numerous tie downs like 4 font and back with 5 spax screws each in line with the load, id call that
ok for a BP type on short runs. don't secure the straps higher than the top of the knee cranked all the way down of corse.
that would just rip out the screws.

last time I moved a Bridgeport style mill, it was in a box truck and I secured it thusly.
I had removed the head, ram, and table though. I had to, to get it out of the previous location, through a 1/2 hight door.
(why they would have put in a hobbit door I have no idea...:nutter:)

in short, I would highly recommend taking it apart to reduce the center of gravity hight and distribute the load, if at all possible.
good luck! drive safe.

Last edited:
My brother runs a moving company and they have all sorts of things for e track. I think you will be fine if you use the cross bars to tie sideways to and secure the machine base from sliding with nailers. Most important thing will be to run a strap from the top of the machine out the door to something sturdy like rear bumper or hitch. The door will close fine over the flat strap. Just snug that strap, if the machine wants to tip forward the strap will instantly tighten and stop it but you dont want it so tight it pulls machine backward over bumps.

Reactions: Ox
Sides of the Isuzu Box truck. This is from Enteprise truck rental. In the past I always rented an F550 stakebed but they don't have any available right now.
...and those sides are composed of just what ?
Cardboard ?

If you can't get a flatbed truck, maybe you'd be better off with a trailer.
Those trailers from Sunbelt that drop down for loading seem really good to me.
Bob

Didn't consider it could come crashing through the cab, because I was thinking I could push the mill all the way to the front of the box, that it is up against the box wall adjacent to the cab. Was worried it would rip of the E-track and bang around inside or rip off the walls and possible fall outside.

Payload of the truck is 7000 lbs. I don't know what the E-track is rated for.
about 1800 per hook.
just screw something to the wood floor inside if possible.

Last time I needed to move a Bridgeport a long distance in a box truck I made sure to get one with a wooden deck. After the obvious things like flipping the head and lowering the knee I lagged the mill to some long 4x4's and then lagged those through the wooden floor with steel plates under to distribute the load a bit. A purpose built pallet with more width would have been better in hindsight. Added some pounded in hardwood dowels and waterproof glue to patch up the floor smooth before returning. Also added some structural screws along the boards to the deck as well.

If you do this, go under the truck before drilling. I didn't have any issues, but you don't want to end up right over a frame rail, fuel line, etc.

I decided to not get the mill. Went above my budget and was not comfortable using a box truck. Thread has been informative though, for future reference. Won't be using a an Isuzu box truck for something this heavy, espeically this top heavy.

What about moving a lathe (3900 lb Rivett lathe) with a box truck, and only securing to the E-Track? If I push it all the way to the front, position it perpendicular to the frame rails and block it so that it does not move side to side, should be ok??

I assumed it was aluminum but called Enterprise to make sure; they confirmed. The interior is wood linked, but the E-Track is attached to the aluminum.
So you have no clue to what the loads the e-track can withstand.

What about moving a lathe (3900 lb Rivett lathe) with a box truck, and only securing to the E-Track? If I push it all the way to the front, position it perpendicular to the frame rails and block it so that it does not move side to side, should be ok??

You can get away with a bunch until the one time you can't.

I got a forklift delivered in a box truck. One little shoring bar to "prevent it from moving". No parking brake or anything else. Did he make it? Yes. But if he had to make an emergency stop, he would have been run over by a forklift.

Back