What's new
What's new

How to accuaratey set up square stock in the lathe.

Limy Sami

Diamond
For a 1 off job turn up a ring / sleeve / buh with a bore of across corners dim' add one cut and 3 relieving slits and the jobs a goodun.

BUT as has already been said ;- if the stock is not true in both dim' and angle, the finer the tolerance the more you will be chasing your tail.

Tony Quiring

Titanium
May need to fashion a bushing that attaches with simple set screws to allow steady rest to support stock where feature is being created if being donefrom chuck. chuck.

As others stated, it may move as stresses change when materials removed at different rates.

Corners are taller...

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

henrya

Titanium
May need to fashion a bushing that attaches with simple set screws to allow steady rest to support stock where feature is being created if being donefrom chuck. chuck.

As others stated, it may move as stresses change when materials removed at different rates.

Corners are taller...

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Collar for the steady rest for sure! And if it will go through the headstock making a collet for one time use won’t be that bad. Start with a collar like for the steady, clamp it on and turn true. Then put it in a set true chuck.

dian

Titanium
so does the bar go throught the spindle or not? if it does:

attach some flat pieces to the sides of the bar (tape?). mount test indicator coaxial with spinde and center the bar by checking the insides of the portruding pieces.

michiganbuck

Diamond
How close do you need? .001, 001 to .002, what?
You might drill point the Spot, and then come in with your tail center to depth micrometer to measure, likely need a rounded nose tail center.. move that spot with a bit of Dermal grind and drill touch again.

It is a bugger to move an off location center drill hole with a center drill because the nose pilot wants to go to the same place..

Garwood

Diamond
geez.. rotate the head to center drill one piece(or even 50pcs) of stock?! the 90deg. attachment is enough of a pain, and center drilling is a perfect light duty use for it.

rotate the head if you HAVE to for actual milling.

It was just a suggestion. For actual jobs in my shop I use this-

Attachments

• boring bar scotch key tap.jpg
    boring bar scotch key tap.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 138

atomarc

Diamond
This batch wasn't a batch..it was a bitch, and there will be no others. I lost my shorts but did learn how to pretty accurately center square stock in a 4 jaw chuck. Bill's suggestion about using a roller tip on a indicator was enlightening..it worked perfectly.

The job is done, it looks good and the tolerances are 'spot on', so I'm happy. If it had been anything other than 12L14 material I'd probably be in the nut house by now, that stuff turns beautifully.

Stuart